Can I setup time machine to backup to another mac?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by FlyingTexan, Jun 10, 2016.

1. FlyingTexan macrumors member

I have a mac mini I use as a HTPC, works amazingly well, and my macbook pro that I use for everything else. I have a 4TB external HD that I can plug into the back of the mac mini via USB. Is it possible for me to set it up so that the mac mini as a type of file server where the macbook pro could automatically backup periodically to the 4TB drive?

2. hfg, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Sure ... you can purchase OS X Server from the App store for $20 and it will set up a Time Machine Server on your Mac Mini which will reliably service your MacbookPro and any other Mac computers you have using Time Machine already included of OS X. All computers need to be on the same network, and using WiFi is fine, although the first backup session will be lengthy. Subsequent hourly backups will usually be less than a minute or so depending on new file content created.

I use a 2011 Mini as a HTPC, and it also shares iTunes music and movies to all household computers and AppleTVs, as well as providing 12TB of backup storage for all the computers and notebooks in the house. It also has a few TB of "shared" file/library/archive storage.

There are other features of Server which you might eventually find a use for as well.