Can I share mac app store acct with spouse?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cutcopypaste, Jul 2, 2011.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

I just have a couple questions about how the licenses from the App store work..

bc I have a macbook pro and my common-law spouse is getting an iMac, and I wondered are we going to have to purchase all our software twice, or can we share it across both machines? If we both use the same app store account.. does that mean we all share the same software? is that legal? (my apple ID is also tied to my iPhone, my spouse doesn't have an appleId yet)

I'm also wondering bc since it's a new iMac I understand she'll be getting Lion with it once it's released, is that just for her machine, or can I use that on mine as well?

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

You should be able to, as long as you are using the same AppleID. I put my AppleID on my wife's Macbook and installed Pages.
    In reference to Lion, they stated in the keynote that you would only have to purchase one license.:D

3. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

4. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

this makes me think of another question... what about with iphones etc? I assume we couldn't both share an id with an iphone were she to get one; is there any cross-platform licences for things?

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

If the iPhones are associated with the SAME iTunes account then they can have the same Apps on them. if they are associated with the same iCloud (or MobileMe) then they can have the same music on them via the cloud.

The issues will be if you want to sync different contacts and colanders. (iCloud will want to keep them identical.)

I don't think that here is an ethical issue here given that presumably the bill payer is the iTunes account holder and hands on access to the device.

(you both own each phone 50/50 anyway under law right?)