Can I Share System Memory with GFX Card?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bluebotle, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Bluebotle macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have an iMac 27" 2009 model Quad Core i7 2.8ghz 4850 GFX Processor.

I have upgraded the system memory from 4gb DDR3 to 12gb DDR3 and wish to share some of this memory with my GFX processor that only has 512mb. Is this possible?

Cheers

Lee

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

At least not under OS X. It wouldn't boost the performance that much anyway.

3. Bluebotle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies, I use X-plane a lot and thought it would help in that.

Cheers

Lee

4. leman macrumors 604

Obviously you can't use the system memory to extend the RAM of the graphics card, as these use different technologies and are physically connected in a completely different way. Nevertheless, the system memory is automatically used for caching etc. so the memory is being "shared" in a way.

All that besides, 512Mb should be more than enough for a flight simulator like X-plane, even on the native 27" resolution of the iMac. Judging from the screenshots, I very much doubt that it uses high-resolution multi-layer textures or other stuff modern games use which eats lots of GPU RAM. So if you have performance problems, I doubt that increasing the GRU RAM will help.