Can I simply image my PC and copy it to my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dmk1974, Oct 18, 2009.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

So I have a Dell PC that I have used for a year and a half and also just got my first Mac. I see they have this Boot Camp where you can run Windows on the Mac.

How exactly do I get my existing system ported over to the Mac? Or do I have to do a fresh Windows install? My Dell had Vista pre-installed on it so I'd have to see if I have the Dell backup CDs/DVDs. I do nightly backups of my Dell using Acronis True Image...can I somehow just restore that image right onto my Mac?

I wish I could completely flip over to Mac, but due to some drawing and architecture programs on Windows, I can't. I know I also could just have two separate computers, but I'd really rather consolidate to one. Thanks!

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

If you use Boot Camp you'll need to do a fresh install of WIndows. Furthermore, the Windows install disks that came with your Dell are tied to that machine and can't be used on a different machine.

If you use VMware Fusion, it has a feature for migrating an existing PC to a VM on the Mac, although I haven't used it myself.