Can I SLI two 7300GTs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jabbawok, Nov 19, 2007.

1. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

I'v just got a new Mac Pro with the stock 7300GT and i was wondering if it was worth sticking an other 7300GT in it purely as a performance upgrade. will it SLI, do i need the SLI cable and will Cider ported games be able to use the SLI. Or am i better off shelling out for the Radeon or even waiting for something with a little more power..
    Thanks Ben..

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OSX does not support SLI or Crossfire AT ALL.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I didn't even know the low 7000 series supported SLI. But yeah, Apple OSX definitely does not. The hardware isn't out there - let alone any drivers or games for OSX.

4. jabbawok thread starter macrumors regular

jabbawok

Cheers. Maybe I'll wait and see if apple pick up GF 8600 or 8800s so i can stick the rom on a PC card..

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That seems like a pipe dream - but I like it. I'll dream with you. Hopefully it'll come to light someday soon. :cool:

6. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Id you boot into windows using hacked drivers (unsupported) it works. I have this setup actually. Im using an Asus Flex sli bridge and i have both cards overclocked by about 15-20% (depending on the game im playing). The bridge really does make a massive difference in gaming, literally by about 30%.

The drivers youll want to use are ForceWare 85.96.

Also, youll need to change your Expansion Slots to 4x 4x 8x 8x, to do this go to: System/Library/CoreServices

and run Expansion Slot Utility.app

7. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Actually the hardware is there (at least in the Mac Pro), the drivers in MacOS X aren't there. As "ungraphic" said, it can be done in a Mac Pro, but ONLY under windows.