Can I sms from a tethered iPad?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by benze, Mar 18, 2013.

1. benze macrumors newbie

I've got a Wifi-only iPad2 tethered via bluetooth. So have full 3G access via the tether. But can I send an SMS over that tether? Would be looking to send to a non-apple phone, so would want to use the carrier's SMS service. If yes, does it matter what kind of phone it is tethered to?

My first instinct would be that it would be impossible, but then again, I've been surprised by things before.

Thanks,

Eric

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

SMS itself is impossible, but there are several apps in the store that can send a message to as an SMS using any internet connection.

The catch is that you'd have to sign up for an account with one of those services and your friend would get the message from that account's "phone number," not your own number.

3. geoluv macrumors newbie

Create a google voice number and use an app called talkatone. It will have a separate number though. But people will just know that's ur ipad number. 100% free.

If they have iMessage and you have a phone number registered with your apple Id then you can send iMessages from your ipad and they will show up as being from your iphone number. All convos will sync across Idevices associated with thy apple Id/phone number. But yeh you need an iPhone to register a number to the Id and you'll only be able to iMessage other apple Id users with Macs or iPads/iPhones/itouches fom your pad cause you'll just be using iMessage, not normal SMS/mms service through a cell provider.