Can I split iPhoto and iTunes libraries to different HDDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by badgerman, Oct 22, 2010.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

So I want to get new MBA. But going from 500gb hdd MB, will need to set up wireless HDD for my pictures and music. Is it best to do all of it on one external hdd or can I mix n match say podcasts n my favorite pictures on internal hdd n the rest on the external?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i don't know of any way to split your iPhoto library. but you certainly can split your iTunes lib.

however, in your case i would start with moving both libs to the external.

the instructions for moving your iPhoto library are here.

moving your iTunes library to external works similar. copy the entire iTunes folder (not just the iTunes media folder) to the external. launch iTunes while pressing option and click on choose library when prompted. select the iTunes folder you moved to the external.

when the MBA arrives, repeat the option-launch procedure. you will need to authorize iTunes on the MBA for your iTunes store account.

with this kind of setup, it is important to remember that the drive holding the content needs to be mounted on the desktop before launching either iPhoto or iTunes ! also, only one instance of iTunes @ a time can access your library.

now, in order to move selected content from the external to your MBA, do this:

(a) launch iTunes on the MBA and go preferences > advanced.
    (b) temporarily point iTunes media folder location to <MacintoshHD>/users/<yourname>/music/iTunes. on the same tab, make sure there are ticks in the little boxes next to keep iTunes media folder organized and copy files to ... when adding to library.
    (c) select (highlight) the podcasts or any content, right-click (or ctrl-click) on it, and choose consolidate files from the pop-up menu. this will copy the selection to your internal HD so you might want to delete the duplicates from the external.
    (d) when done, be sure to point iTunes media folder location back to the external.