Can I split the cable line running to my cable modem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, Feb 18, 2009.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Quick question - I have a cable line running from my wall to my cable modem, which in turn connects via ethernet cable to an AEBS. The AEBS provides wireless connectivity to four Macs.

Can I split the cable line in my room so that I may watch TV, or would this cut my download/upload bandwidth in half?

thanks!
    Mark

2. applebum macrumors 6502

Yes you can. It is done that way in my house, and Comcast is the one that did it.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I've used the splitter pictured above. A note though, depending on the strength of the signal you may need to buy an amplifier as well. I ran into problems in some locations. So splitting isn't ideal, but can work and may have a small impact on your speeds, though not likely too noticeable if at all.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

If you're not paying for video service it's illegal to do that (and probably has a video trap on the line also)
    If you are paying for service, cheap splitters cause problems. You also need a splitter that can handle 2 way service. A better slitter to use is a DC (Direct Coupler) and put the down leg (I think the tap side) to the modem. You NEVER want to use an amp feeding the modem alone.. and again you need an amp that can handle 2-way service. Too much signal is worse for a modem than too little signal.
    You also might need a splitter that starts lower than 5MHz, some cable companies run signal lower than that.

again if you're illegal doing this will also calls problems. People who don't use good equipment cause issues in the cable plant. Since the cable is 2-way all the crappy cable that causes leakage will leak back into the cable plant and cause issues for other customers.

6. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I wanted to do this downstairs where I have cable running to my cable box. Throw a splitter in there and then run it into a cable modem, and then to my 360 for full speed streaming/gaming.

7. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I have my Comcast HD box and Comcast modem split and have no problems with Xbox Live over that connection.

Cheers.

-J.-

8. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback, from everyone. FYI, I ampaying for video service!! Not looking to do anything illegal by an means, in this case, I'm just trying to get smart on the technical side, to make sure I'm not splitting a signal too much and degrading my performance.

thanks!
    Mark

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Let's not make assumptions here.

Anyways, you can get a coaxial booster if you're signal is weak.

10. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If you do end up with more loss sometimes the cable company will boost your signal or replace your splitters with better ones for free (if they are already at your house for some other reason). When we ordered HD programming, our cable provider insisted on sending their techs out to do the install. While they were there they noticed our signal was low due to a split I put in on our cable modem run to feed an adjacent room and adjusted our signal from the pole as well as changing out a couple of our splitters. Now that I think of it, it really wasn't free since we had to pay for the techs to come install the HD box, but at least there was no extra fee to do that additional work. And I think they called in a second truck to do the work on the pole without us having to pay anything extra.