Can I start using the iphone without first syncing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, May 24, 2010.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I'm about to buy an iPhone off a friend. How should I tell him to prepare it? I won't have access to my computer for another month (I'm visiting this town) but I want to start using this phone right away.

So if I start using this phone for a month, download apps, put in contacts, put in calendar events etc, will I lose all of this when I get him and sync with my computer? It's going to ask me to "replace" all content on the phone first time I sync right?

Any way around this?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When I purchased my iPhone from AT&T, they activated it, so there was no reason that I HAD to sync it to itunes. I did so, because I wanted my music on there. Once activated you don't need to use a desktop until such time you wish to sync your music and/or back it up

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

But when you finally do sync with your iTunes, does it wipe everything you have on it?

4. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Yup. You can only sync with one computer/library. So you'll be removing all of your friend's stuff and it will be replaced with your itunes content.

5. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you mean? So I will lose all the stuff I put in during this month?

6. JReinn macrumors member

Not exactly. I don't know if it's just me, but when I buy an app from the app store, and I sync to iTunes, the app gets copied to iTunes and stays on the phone. (It'll ask you: "Do you want to sync iTunes Store content from your device?")

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You’re getting bad info.

When you get ready to sync with your computer, first authorize the computer. Then right click on the iPhone in iTunes and click backup. Also right click and transfer purchases (some will say just to sync, but I trust this more). You can then go to the Info Tab and start setting up syncing. Done.