Can I still buy a 24" Cinema Display?...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slick316, Nov 6, 2010.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

I am looking for a new monitor and of course, the Apple 27" is so appealing because I will be using my MBP with it. But I really don't want to spend $1000 on it. Even the $800 for the 24" is more than I am wanting to spend, but I can see the value in it compared to the 24" Dell U2410 because of the built in speakers and MBP connectivity (I am working with a small desk, I don't want a lot of clutter on it).

Do they still sell the 24" in stores? And have they ever been on the refurb site? I have never seen one on there.

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

3. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, $599 refurbished, that sounds like a great deal considering the quality of Apples refurb products. I hope I can snag one soon, or else I'll have to sell an arm or a leg for the 27" :)

Thanks for the quick reply and the link.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

5. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for replying, I just ordered it!

Now I have to wait for it to arrive, that's going to be a painful week :)

Thanks again.

6. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that this is probably a dumb question to ask now, even though I already ordered the monitor, but when using my MBP in clamshell mode with the monitor, will the optical drive, sd card slot, and FW800 ports still function?

7. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

Yep! Clamshell pretty much just let's it run in a desktop mode.

8. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update:

I received the display today. Ordered it on the 8th, shipped on the 9th (even though it said ships in 3-5 days) and I got it today, the 12th.

Looks brand new, not a blemish on it anywhere. And as far as I can tell it has no dead/stuck pixels.

All in all its a great display, good price, and once again great service from Apple.

Thanks to all that helped me with this.

10. Euroamerican macrumors member

Euroamerican

Cool!

Let us know how you like it after a while. I'm in the same market, for a refurb 24 ACD.

Funny how a 17 inch LCD just isn't as big as it used to be...

11. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've already used the display for several hours. I have to work a lot right now so I just had the monitor delivered to my office and I'm using it while I work.

I've watched some shows via Netflix on it while surfing the web. Its nice to have the extra screen real estate, I really couldn't have two windows open side by side on the 13.3" MBP.

I also noticed how bright the display is (would be nice if it had an ambient light sensor like the new 27" though). I thought the MBP had a bright display but I was wrong.

And I am also impressed with the speakers on this thing. I didn't expect them to have a "full" sound. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they have bass, but they definitely aren't just a couple tweeters that play high frequencies.

That's all I have for now, if you want any specifics on it, let me know. If something new develops, I'll report back.