Can I still call 911 on the LTE Watch without a data plan?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by justinf77, Sep 20, 2017.

1. justinf77 macrumors 6502

I'm purchasing the Apple Watch Series 3 from T-Mobile and will get 3 months free of service for the watch. I'll probably cancel the service plan after the 3 months unless the price drops to $5 a month because I think $10 a month is unreasonable for the amount of time I'll be using data on the watch.

My question is this: considering the watch has LTE capability, will I still be able to call 911 on it without a service plan? I know this is possible on cellphones and just wanted to see if anyone knows whether or not this is possible with the watch.

2. Lammy macrumors member

That is very interesting. I can't wait to find out because that's the main reason I plan on paying for the data plan.

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

A case could be made both ways. First, its a connected device like the iPad, so I wouldn't think it would be required to be able to make emergency calls via federal law. In fact, I don't think the Watch will even have it's own number. On the other hand, it is provisioned to make calls without the phone via the network. Very interesting grey-area situation here.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Actually each LTE watch has a carrier assigned phone number. The ability to use the paired iPhone's phone number is handled by the carriers backend systems. This is one of the reasons they claim they need to charge $10 for the LTE plan.

On the question of Emergency or SOS calls, the Apple Watch calls the emergency services in your region—for example, 911 in the US with or without a service plan.

Dave

5. jyland83 macrumors newbie

I am curious as well, is there an option for 911 calls when LTE is not activated. Can anyone with the LTE watch comment on this? Thank you

6. jyland83 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    Major bummer, I can't believe you can't make an emergency call when the LTE account is not activated. Would of been nice having that as a possibility.

7. justinf77 thread starter macrumors 6502

How did you find this out?

8. jyland83 macrumors newbie

Co-worker who got his lte watch today. Maybe it will be offered in a future upgrade? What is with all the Chinese posts btw?