Can I still get Applecare?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rip-the-jacker, Jun 22, 2011.

1. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

Hey guys, received my mac pro today, and, wow, what a machine, my gripe is that I bought it brand new but from e bay and it is the 2009 model. they have there own year warranty but you cannot beat service from apple.

So what im asking is if I can get applecare even though its not from apple?

Thanks guys, RTJ

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can only buy AppleCare during the first year, while it's covered by the original warranty.

3. 03jcrhr macrumors member

In short no

But you may be able to get third party extended warranties if you really want one, however research them well before committing to one

4. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info guys, will look into it...

RTJ

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

A brand new Apple system has 1 year warranty cover from the date of purchase by the end user, which was when you won the eBay auction I suppose.

6. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes but what we are saying buddy is that I have bought it from a third party company on ebay, so believe that the warranties no longer stand (from apple).

RTJ

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

But he didn't buy it new. He bought a 2009 model used, from eBay. The warranty is 1 year from the time the Mac was first purchased from Apple. It doesn't start again when someone resells a Mac.

8. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How are you buying a 2 year old Mac brand new? Something sounds fishy. At any rate, you can verify if it's still under warranty and qualifies for AppleCare by going here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

:confused: Stock doesn't magically disappear when new models come out.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I know, but 2 years seems a bit excessive. Not saying it can't be true.

12. bamf macrumors 6502

I would also be concerned that if the seller is not an Apple Authorized Reseller, that even though it is "new in the box" it may have been sold to someone before and never used. You really need the serial number to make sure the machine truly is "new".

13. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replys guys. Im going to phone Apple tomorrow and see whats up.

RTJ

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you check the link I posted in post #9? That will answer your question.

15. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

"2009" Macs were the current new model from Apple well into 2010. Many resellers kept selling the "2009" model new as far as early 2011. It looks like the dregs of old inventory are now hitting places like Ebay.

16. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I bought a 2009 "brand new" from SmallDog a few months ago. I called Apple, emailed my receipt with DOP and they were able to allow Applecare for full coverage. I even bought my Applecare at half price from a 3rd vendor. Call and see what they can do. eBay is not a normal liquidator though. Worth a try.

17. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Gooooood news! I phoned Apple today and they informed me that I have 27 days left on warranty so I can upgrade to AppleCare within that time frame and get a full two years! Deffo will be doing that, sooooo happy!

RTJ