Can I still get the cracks in my '08 repaired?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alight, Feb 22, 2012.

1. alight, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

alight macrumors newbie

My early 2008 MacBook has extensive cracking on the palmrests and around the keyboard and screen - I can almost see into the computer because a long strip of plastic is missing from one entire side of the top casing, and that can't be good at all. If I take this to the Apple Store, are they likely to turn me away because I fall outside of a 3-year repair limit I've seen mentioned? What are your experiences with how strictly they enforce that rule? I've never had repairs done before. I figure that this is my last chance because they won't keep the parts for a discontinued computer around forever!

2. AppleFanBoy888 macrumors member

My Macbook Mid 2009 (With AppleCare till May 2012) started cracking recently so I took it to the Apple Store. They told me it would cost $430 to fix it. I told them if they knew about the MacBook cracking problem and they told me they did but no longer fix it for free. :(

3. alight thread starter macrumors newbie

They wouldn't even fix it with AppleCare?? Wow. :/

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually Apple has stated that they will repair cracked Macbooks for free, whether under warranty or not.

5. AppleFanBoy888 macrumors member

Yes and believe it or not the person I was talking to was the manager of the store. :( I might try another Apple store near by but I don't know if it will make a difference.

6. alight thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely try another store! It sounds like one thing you can count on at the Genius Bar is that policy isn't set in stone, haha.

7. Macintosh-HD macrumors member

I have a story about the Genius Bar also not fixing a simple issue. I have a mid-'10 white MB (still under warranty) that had a crooked lid, and they told me it was only a cosmetic issue and to be on my way. bastards :p

So, I took it down to a local Apple authorized service provider, and they fixed it in under 10 mins. right there in front of me. He just took the back cover off and loosened the screen/lid screws and pushed it back in place.

If you're lucky enough to have a maw and paw Apple authorized service provider in town, I would try them.

I though this was only for the '09 & '10 unibodys :confused: Don't quote me on it though...

8. Bear macrumors G3

9. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Thanks for that link. My blackbook has the chipped palmrest thing but I can't live without it so ehh.

10. alight thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Took it to the Genius Bar and they whisked it away for repair without question, argument or payment! :D the keyboard/palm rest and screen bezel are covered!

11. malman89 macrumors 68000

Nope. Every single model of the plastic MacBook is still being repaired for free.

Congrats, OP, to your hassle free repair. I've had two palm rest/top case repairs in my 5 years (both out of warranty, both no hassle).