iPad Can I still return my Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WC23, Dec 7, 2014.

1. WC23 macrumors newbie

So I splurged and bought a iPad Air 2 from Best Buy about a week ago because it was on sale and I wanted to upgrade from my iPad 3. However, a few days ago the iPad slipped out of my hand slightly and chipped against my MacBook, causing a small little dent/chip on the bottom bezel next to the lightning port. Now, I am thinking of returning the air 2 because I realized that 16GB is not enough and will probably get the 64GB instead, but was wondering if I would still be able to return it even though I damaged it slightly?

Thanks

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Depends how well the customer service person inspects the device upon returning.

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You're plumb out of luck. Now way will they accept a damaged return. No sir. No how.

Just suck it up and next time don't be such a butter fingers… :cool:

4. WC23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure? I actually scratched the back of my ipad 3 when I got it a couple years ago and Apple Store took it back no questions asked. Was just wondering if BB customer service would be that picky?

5. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I know apple would take it back because the damage you are describing would be classified as normal wear and tear

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

As someone else said, it depends how well the customer service rep inspects the iPad. Sometimes they just make sure it powers on, but sometimes they give it a 20 point inspection haha

7. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

They will. They are instructed to inspect any opened device carefully. Accessories I believe are a little more lax.

8. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

9. MikeCBR macrumors member

If your exchanging it I would say yes. For a straight return...and the chip was noticeable I doubt it. One issue is the sale is over so you might have to pay full price.

10. WC23 thread starter macrumors newbie

You think I would have a better chance returning online or in-store? I haven't heard of any place shipping a return back to its customer again, but I guess there's always a first time lol.

11. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Take responsibility for your impulsiveness and clumsiness. Bring it back to where you bought it. Tell them you want a bigger size, and that you dropped it. Then, see what happens and be prepared for whatever they decide to do.

I can't believe this is even a discussion.

12. WC23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did end up doing this and I just got it exchanged instead of refunding it. Anyways, people ask anything on macrumors, this is far from the dumbest thing I've seen on these forums lol.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

So, you are asking for people to be honest?:eek:

Does not happen very often these days.

14. jacobiss macrumors newbie

In terms of return, Apple store is way better than BestBuy.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Agreed.

Best Buy refused to let me return a $700 camera I purchased from them as when I got home I discovered it was USED! I had to go back and argue with the manager about them reselling returned items and he was getting ready to walk away whe I pulled out the receipt from his store from the person who owned the camera before me! He was pissed but returned my money.:p

I bet Apple would only glance at the iPad and issue a refund quickly.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I haven't actually bought something from Best Buy in years, but back when they were worth buying stuff from, they used to sell returned items with "Open Box" packaging, clearly marking it as having been returned, and listing any defects (like dents or scratches) or missing parts. There would usually be a discount on such items too, unless it was absolutely pristine and complete.

Either that Best Buy is screwing people over, or Best Buy has gotten shady(er) since I last shopped there.

17. zone23 macrumors 68000

Best Buy isn't the most honest retailer. I don't know how many items I've purchased that have been opened/used. I would absolutely try and return it and not say a word. If the first store didn't take it I would try another.

18. pingfan59 macrumors member

They will probably charge restocking since the package has been opened. You see some items every now and then on sale as open box for a small discount off the new price.

So the restocking fee is probably like 10%-15%. At least you get something back.

I wouldn't expect to get 100% back, especially if I damaged it.

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

This camera was represented to me and sold as new at their full price. Been very wary of Best But ever since. I do not buy many items from them as they lack the cutting edge products that I like. I prefer to alway but Apple products from Apple.

20. Dingo989 macrumors newbie

I hear they are making a big comeback. But you are correct, they lack new stuff and their sales are horrible.

21. yinz macrumors 6502a

My thoughts exactly. These threads are so annoying. I may come off as a bit insensitive, but the OP should take responsibilities for his actions.

By accepting the product, these companies are simply reinforcing this irresponsible behavior. I'm not blaming the companies for all misbehaviours of the new generation, but this is getting ridiculous. YOU dropped it. YOU bought it out of impulse. It is YOUR fault. Pay YOUR money for it. I'm sounding like a grumpy old man, but YOU need to grow up!