Can I still use Google Maps in iOS6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by farqueue, Sep 14, 2012.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

Hello ladies, just wanted to know if I could still use Google Maps in iOS6?

Currently on iphone4, looking to update iso6 on sep 19th.

cheers

2. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Nope. No more google anything on the iPhone after iOS 6.

3. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

No. Google Maps will be completely gone in iOS 6. However, it is highly likely Google will release their own Google Maps on the app store soon since they just did that with YouTube.

4. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

Not built in, but many expect Google to release their own, much like they did with YouTube.

5. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

I rely on Google Maps on a daily basis and this is total BS.

Does Apple have the whole world covered when it comes to their maps? I'd hate to lose google maps.:mad:

6. sixteen12 macrumors regular

What do you needs maps to do? I've found Apple's offering faster and just as complete for anything I use maps for. The exception is transit, but I use a seperate app for that anyways as it uses real time GPS locations of buses.

7. seajay96 macrumors 6502

http://maps.google.com

works for the majority of features you had in the built in app and if you make a shortcut to it on your Home Screen, you'll retain about 80-90% functionality

This is, of course, assuming that the final version of Apple Maps isn't to your satisfaction

Another option is simply to not upgrade to iOS 6.0 or get an Android phone, lots of options out there, no reason to get mad at Apple for doing what they feel is in the long term best interest of their company.

8. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Will there still be the Google search option in Safari or is it just Google Maps that has vanished?

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Google search is still there and is the default.

The Maps application no longer uses Google to source map data. That means that some services like Street View are no longer available and that mapping data in some areas won't be as good.

YouTube has been removed from iOS 6, but you can download a new YouTube App made by Google from the App Store (it'll also work in iOS 5.1.1).

Google did not make either of these Applications - they were both made by Apple and merely used Google's services.

10. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

The Google Maps web app will still work.
    No doubt though that Google will release an iPhone application as they did with Youtube.