Can I stop a Time Machine Backup and Resume it Later?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cbrain, Oct 28, 2007.

1. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Hi,

Can I stop a Time Machine backup and resume it later?

Thanks.

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

yup, either right click the time machine icon in your dock, or go to system prefs!

3. cbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

cbrain

Yes but what I want to know is this: If I was to stop a Time Machine backup, would it resume from where it left off when the next backup is due?

Thanks for the reply though.

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I dont know. I would have thought it probably would, since its copying individual changes rather than one large backup image, but I cant tell.

5. FredLoney macrumors newbie

If you unmount (eject) the backup drive, then backup resumes where it left off after remount. I don't know if issuing a Stop has the same effect. The overhead is so small that the only reason to suspend the backup is to disconnect a laptop anyway, so you might as well just unmount.

6. jskov54 macrumors newbie

Unless you are doing a network backup...

It shouldn't be a lot of overhead unless you are doing a network backup (as I am now over a secured wireless network).

I am still interested in the answer to the question, if anyone knows.

Thanks.

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

I don't know, but I would guess it just picks up with a new backup.

I mean, it's backing up every hour...so if it misses one hour, what's the big deal? Next hour will capture the changed files as well as it would this hour.

Seems like a bit of overkill to finish the last incomplete backup, then do another recalculation of what's changed this past hour for a new backup within a few minutes of the previous hour's incompleted backup ending. No?

8. jskov54 macrumors newbie

So here is the deal. This is the first backup on this drive. So, I set it to backup last night, which it did not finish, so now, I am wanting to stop it, but let it complete the first full backup later...

Any thoughts?

9. ncdasa macrumors member

I dont know if this information is still in want but i just stopped my back up (the first one actually) just by pressing the "x" button ("stop backing up") and resumed it by starting the back up again. i.e it does pick up where you leave off.

10. MABook macrumors newbie

The "stop backing up" option can be accessed by right-clicking the time machine drive icon in Finder.
    PS: i know this thread is old but it is still a top-result in Google Search, so.

11. stapoz macrumors member

stapoz

Backup can be stopped and resumed any time. There is no problem even if you shut down your comp during a backup in progress. It is very well implemented feature