Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cu2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
new york city
I know I can control the fan speed, but I desperately need to stop the left fan which is making unbearable noise. I'm travelling at the moment and cannot have it replaced until next week. Please advise :confused:

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
The only way to stop it is to physically unplug it. The SMC has certain failsafes that cannot be overridden through software. However, I strongly advise against this as the CPU generates too much heat for passive cooling.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I ran an Early 2008 MBP for over a month with one fan instead of two after one seized up. I had to wait until I was able to have a good week to send it off. It worked fine without the fan. It ran a few degrees warmer, but never too hot. Like it ran at 50C before, and after maybe 55C.

I say it's safe. Unplug it and let'r rip. Your computer will (err should) shutdown if it gets too hot.

EDIT: I should add that it's not a smart idea to run a computer designed with two fans to only run with one. I'm just telling you my experience.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, you can.

Yes, on some MacBook Pros you can stop the left/right fan (without stopping the other) without having to physically yank the thing out. Be warned that this may damage you MacBook Pro, since the left fan may be cooling vital parts. But if you want to try, do this:

Download SMC fan control if you have not already done so. Click on it in the toolbar and go into preferances, and a window should come up where you can control the fans. Now, if you see two fans, left fan and right fan, you can do this.

Pull the slider for the left fan right down as low as it can go. Now, this will heat up the computer, so you must turn up the right fan to make up for it, otherwise: A, the computer will do it for you. B, the computer will overheat and be damaged. C, the computer will shutdown. So you must turn up the right fan to make up for it.

Hope that helps take care of the annoying left fan:D

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
So you have an annoying fan and you want to turn it off so you can possibly break your computer? Thats just stupid. They're there for a reason, just wait it out.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Is there a way of renaming the fans? My 'left fan' is a singleton and therefore is inappropriately named :)

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
If you do stop the fan, you could use the processor preference pane to disable one of the CPU cores. I would also run the other fan at full speed all the time. That's assuming the computer will even start with the fan not working/unplugged.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you do stop the fan, you could use the processor preference pane to disable one of the CPU cores. I would also run the other fan at full speed all the time. That's assuming the computer will even start with the fan not working/unplugged.

As more heat comes from the GPU than the CPU, that wouldn't necessarily help much. Also, disabling one of the cores wouldn't necessarily mean a proportionate reduction in heat. It's best not to try it at all.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Disabling one core should reduce the peak CPU power by 50%, assuming it really is completely disabled. Idle power is only reduced by a couple watts.

I believe the GPU and CPU share heat pipes, so the extra heat could possible be dissipated all by one fan and heatsink. Running with just the 9400 if this is a Unibody would help significantly.

The 13" has just one fan and a 9400, and it does OK. The CPU at least won't let itself overheat, and the GPU is almost guaranteed to have a similar protection mechanism. The CPU will clock down if it gets too hot and might force the computer to shut down at some point, but it shouldn't be damaged.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Another thing to consider is the fact that if you disable a fan, you're most likely going to void your warranty/AppleCare. Apple would never cover damage caused by overheating if the user modified the MBP's built-in safeguards.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
If the fan failed on its own it would be covered. There are built-in protection mechanisms to keep the computer from frying if a fan fails-- there's no way Apple is going to trust a $2000 computer to a $10 fan. One protection mechanism might be not booting if the fan doesn't work, and if you defeat that by somehow making the computer think the fan is still working if it's not (maybe taking the RPM signal from the other fan), that would be a valid reason to void the warranty.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple Warranty:
This warranty does not apply:
(c) to damage caused by operating the product outside the permitted or intended uses described by Apple;
(d) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);
(e) to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple;

AppleCare Protection Plan:
b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
(iii) Your use of or modification to the Covered Equipment, the Mac OS, iPod Software, Apple TV Software or Consumer Software in a manner for which the Covered Equipment or software is not intended to be used or modified;

cu2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
new york city
Thanks for your comments :)

My 2009[June]MBP has 2 fans presently running at 1500 rpm and has a temperature of 43-5 degrees, although they're set at min. speed of 2000 rpm using smcFan Control.

As for processor preference pane, I probably need to be registered as an Apple developer to install it. I will take it in when I get home tomorrow.

@dubhe: I'll leave it to you!

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
As for processor preference pane, I probably need to be registered as an Apple developer to install it.

That pref pan is installed as part of the developer tools, which can be found in the OS install disc that came with your computer (or that you bought separately).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.