Can I survive on a PMG5 and iPhone?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidg4781, Jun 28, 2015.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

My mom's PC died and I mentioned selling her my MBP. She didn't want to do anything Apple at first, but after I let her play around with it for a while she changed her mind.

Financially I don't know if I'm ready to purchase a new MBP, but that's mainly because I'm cheap. I'm also not 100% sure on which one I want and since they're not upgradable, I'm thinking of waiting until the next version is out to see how much storage comes with it.

Off the top of my head, I'll need to use everydollar.com and some kind of Quicken financial tracking type tool. These are the two main needs I'm not sure will work on the G5. I'll have to upgrade the HDD in it, but that's something I've been wanting to do anyway. I'll also need to get a new mouse, I can't get used to having only one button.

Anything else I'm missing? Any better ideas?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@davidg4781 I believe the newest version of Quicken to run on a PowerPC is going to be the original Quicken 2007 version. I know they later reproduced that version for Intel use only as well. Your best bet for any web browsing is likely to be TenFourFox with eyoungren's tweaks configured.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I didn't try eyoungren's tweaks, but it looks like everydollar.com doesn't like TenFourFox or Safari on Leopard. I did buy an '11 Mac mini so I should be set, except now I have 3 desktops and no desk to really use them on.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might try applying some of the tweaks in my signature. I just went over there (everydollar.com) and had no issues. But I'm also using RequestPolicy and NoScript, two addons mentioned in my post.

Using TenFourFox 38 by the way.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll try them out tomorrow, need to get up at 3am and if I even turn on the PM I'll be up at least another 2 hours.

Were you able to sign on? I can't remember what my issue was but I just knew it wasn't working.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, I just loaded the site. It came up quickly and even after I whitelisted it in NoScript and RequestPolicy it was still fast. Was logging on your issue?

7. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I honestly can't remember. I do remember on Safari it was coming up as a quasi mobile site. But when I pull it up on iPhone I'm only given an option to download the app from the App Store.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Verify that you are using the latest copy of Leopard WebKit and the appropriate user agent is chosen.

9. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, I just tried it right now and when I click on Sign In I get a message stating it looks like my browser is outdated. This is using the very latest version of TenFourFox with no updates. I'm going to try them right now. Well, after I update Word so I can do some stuff for work.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The site is probably reading that it's TenFourFox and not the Firefox equivalent.

Install this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

Use it to change your user agent to this: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0

Reload the website sign-in.

Alternatively, if you do not wish to install an addon, go here: about:config and search for this: general.useragent.override

If that key does not exist, create it by right clicking in the empty area and selecting New>String. Name it general.useragent.override and put in the value of the user agent I just gave you.

Reload the website sign-in.

11. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, but changing the User Agent didn't help at all. I tried it on my MBP with FF 34 and got the same response. With 36.0.1 it let me go to the sign in page and I'm signed in using FF 39.

I used the G5 quite a bit yesterday while messing around on this. I'm somewhat regretting buying the mini. Aside from this site, I'm pretty sure the G5 is capable of anything I need, at least until I can purchase something else. I think my main reason is I would definitely have to add more storage and that was going to be close to the mini, so I just went with that.