Can I swap drives?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rblahetka, Sep 9, 2014.

1. rblahetka macrumors newbie

Hi. I have a Sony laptop that I installed an SSD into a while back and it runs windows 7. I have a late 2013 iMac 21" with the standard 1tb HDD. I want swap drives between the 2 as I don't use the lap top often. Will I be able to use the SSD in the iMac even though it is formatted for windows? When I go to install Mavericks will it format the drive then, or do I need to get a whole new drive? Any advice would be great!

2. Intell, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You will be able to install the SSD in the iMac and reformat it for Mac OS X.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I thought only the 27" iMacs used 3.5" desktop drives?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You are correct. The 21.5" late-2012 iMac and later models do have a 2.5" laptop drive.

5. rblahetka thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to hear! So, other than taking the iMac apart, it should be a straight forward swap. That will def save the expense of buying a new drive! Thanks!

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, the hardest part is taking apart the iMac and putting it back together again.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote above:
    [[ When I go to install Mavericks will it format the drive then, or do I need to get a whole new drive? Any advice would be great! ]]

Before you go through all the trouble of opening a newer iMac (which isn't designed to be opened), why not just take your SSD and put it into an external USB3 enclosure, which you can buy for about $18 ?

Advantages:
    - Will take 90 seconds to put drive into enclosure and connect it to iMac vs. quite a while to open the iMac
    - You don't risk damaging anything inside
    - You won't have any problems trying to get the cases back together
    - Most importantly -- you won't notice any speed difference between running the drive externally vis-a-vis internally.

Disadvantages:
    - You won't be able to enable TRIM via USB3 (however, this probably won't result in much of a slowdown over the long term, all-but un-noticeable in day-to-day usage).
    Aside: if you spend more $$ for an external thunderbolt enclosure, you WILL be able to use TRIM. Whether the additional cost is worth it, only you can decide.

Some folks have used a piece of velcro to attach the external enclosure to the back of the iMac's stand -- off the desk, out-of-the-way, out of sight.

There's no law that says the boot drive -has to be- inside the case.
    The iMac (or ANY Mac) will run as well when booted externally....

Here's a USB3 enclosure to consider:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...0360474&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+usb3+2.5+uasp

8. rblahetka thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I can use the SSD drive hooked up to USB and make it my boot drive? That would be nice as I have a 1TB external drive for backs up now, and with the 1TB HDD inside, I can use both. I need to find a write up on this.:)

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, you can make an external SSD the default startup drive.