Can I swap out a nehalem octo processor w/ a 3.33GHz one?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MythicFrost, Aug 24, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm wondering if it's possible to swap out two 2.26GHz 5500 series quad core processors for two 3.33GHz ones bought from somewhere else?

Kind Regards

2. dsiew81 macrumors member

Are you planning on installing i7 975s / W5590s?

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Is that the model in the nehalem mac pros?
    If so, yes.

Is it possible, and safe/easy?

4. dsiew81 macrumors member

If you have to ask if it's safe/easy, then you really need to consider if it is worth it. There are a lot of very simple mistakes you can do which can essentially result in big damage and a subsequently big bill. If you are adamant on upgrading the CPUs, do a lot of research before starting, or else get a professional. There is abundant information on these forums. In any case, there are still risks involved, and it goes without saying that your warranty will be voided.

Good luck!

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks, would it be cheaper upgrading it to 3.33GHz than paying 4.8k (australian dollars) to get the 2.93GHz?

I'm happy to get a professional to do it, doesn't bother me at all.
    Warranty and I were never meant to be!

Can an "Apple qualified" technician do the job?

Kind Regards

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It's possible but the retail processors are a little different from those used by Apple, mainly because Apple uses Intel processors without the IHS and replacing them with retail versions is completely possible but don't bend the socket pins otherwise you'll be seeking a new daughter-board replacement.... and they're ain't cheap!!

Here's an article and a guide:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3597&p=10

7. wally21 macrumors member

Is it possible?

Yes, but you have to get the xeon w5590's. The i7 975 only has 1 QPI link, so it can't communicate with another processor in a dual setup. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37150&processor=i7-950&spec-codes=SLBEN

Is it safe/easy?

Sort of. The best resource for this would be to look up tutor's long thread about upgrading to dual w5580's. There is also an anandtech article out there about it, where the reviewer more-or-less fried one of the replacement processors.

Tutor's story: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=713934

anandtech's article:http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3597&p=10 (i took you to the page where they start to talk about changing the cpu)

Basically, you have to be very careful because the heat spreaders on user purchased cpu's (apple's octo processors do not have heat spreaders) make for a very tight and possibly dangerous situation.

(edit: I see UltraNEO* beat me to the anandtech article)

8. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

lol dang, thanks guys :O how can apple join two processors but I can't?

Kind Regards

9. dsiew81 macrumors member

Quick look at costs (all AUD):

OPTION 1
    * Perhaps buy the refurbished 8-core 2 x 2.26Ghz MP from Apple store for $5,000. (Who knows, it might come with extras and you can always sell off the old CPUs.)
    * 2 x i7 975 = 2 x $1,299 = $2,598 (IT Estate) -or- 2 x W5590 = 2 x $2,331 = $4,662 (Penta)

OPTION 2
    Pre-configured 8-core 2 x 2.93Ghz MP from Apple will cost you $10,599.01.

If you have the funds and don't care about warranty, option 1 is the better choice. You'll have extra to buy more RAM and/or HDDs. Best to research the i7 975s as wally21 suggested.

10. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Meh there isn't much price difference, I'd only do it if I'd save like 3-4k lol
    If at all :O

Thanks for your replies, I don't think I'm even going to imagine attempting this one:p

Kind Regards

11. dsiew81 macrumors member

It would have been good if you did attempt the swap, as you'd be the first person with two W5590s. Nonetheless, good luck with the new machine.

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If you're using the octo (two sockets,) you *NEED* the Xeons. The i7's won't run in dual-socket systems. (They also don't support ECC memory, which is what Apple ships the systems with.)

Finally, the Mac Pro only ships with 95W processors, and the 3.2 and 3.33 GHz procs (W5580 and W5590) are both 130W processors. I haven't done any searching to see if anyone has tried it; but the system may not have enough cooling capacity for the higher-wattage processors. That's 70 Watts of extra power at max load that would have to be taken care of.

If you want to use the quad (one socket,) you can use theoretically use an i7; but you'd also have to swap to non-ECC memory. The quad systems already use a 130W processor.

13. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Meh it was just a theoretical thing, I'm not actually buying one, I'll probably wait for next year for the new model.

Thanks a lot guys

Kind Regards

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have the 2.93 Octo and it honestly scares me how much damage you can do trying this. But if it is worth it to you then it is possible. The links provided above give you all the information you would need.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

The boards can supply the increase in power (apparently 150W TDP's been tried). 130W TDP for sure, and it can handle the cooling as well. Tutor's installed a CPU with the 130W TDP limit, and it works fine (links a couple of posts up). :)