Can I swap the T-Mobile version for Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryan102, Nov 4, 2017.

1. ryan102 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Visiting Los Angeles in early Dec from the UK. Decided to get the X after seeing it in person yday. I've preordered it on Apple.com and getting it delivered to my friend I'm staying with.

My delivery date is Dec 1-8 which is perfect as I get there on the 7th. I had to order the T-mobile version as the other carrier options require account info. I know the TM version works in the UK as it's GSM.

When I land on the 7th, can I take the X into the nearest Apple store and change it for the Verizon model without providing any account details? Just a straight swap? I travel abroad quite a bit so may need to be on a CDMA network from time to time.

+ If so, Do I activate the Verizon model with a verizon sim (to unlock it?) before sticking my UK sim in or can I just put the UK sim straight in as it may already be fully unlocked and open to any sim?

Although atm I'm hoping Apple sticks a SimFree option up in the next few weeks so I can just get that.

2. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

My habit for Verizon phones is pop an active T-Mobile or at&t sim in to activate it. I heard and I’m not sure it’s accurate, that activating with a Verizon sim can actually cause the device to get locked to Verizon at times. I just don’t activate with that carriers sim to save me the hassle. Good luck with yours.

3. ryan102 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks!

4. tivoboy macrumors 68040

I don't think it ever gets "locked" to verizon, only that if/when activating on verizon one has to have an account with verizon or setup one to activate and then one might get charged some activation fee. Better to just bypass when asked, hit the side button, SKIP move along. it will activate to whatever other carrier you want. Assuming you've put in another carrier SIM.

5. Ukyank1 macrumors newbie

Ukyank1

Out of curiousity where else uses CDMA?

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I don’t believe that Verizon is even allowed to lock phones right now; I think it had to do with an agreement with government but I can’t remember why off the top of my head.

Personally, I had a really big problem with my phone being activated on TMob and then switching to Verizon; it was a SIM unlocked phone but because I was buying it on iUP they wanted my current carrier info which was TMob. Later that day I went and switched to Verizon, but the CDMA never worked. It ended up taking days to get Apple to figure out that because of the activation profile for the phone the CDMA radios weren’t working despite being an unlocked phone. Had to reload my phone like four times to get it fixed. Really aggravating, especially because Apple never acknowledged what the issue was, even after fixing it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Virtually no one outside the US afaik.

7. drdoomsday2028 macrumors newbie

Verizon phones come unlocked to be used on all four carriers (sprint might be a hassle ) so using a Verizon sim won’t ever lock it. Especially with iPhones you can pop any sim in from Verizon att etc and it will work. Not sure about all features like WiFi calling etc

8. tivoboy macrumors 68040

Wi-Fi calling has to be possible on the device and os but is enabled by sim and carrier.

9. AmexGG macrumors regular

AmexGG

Don't be shocked when your phone gets delivered 2 or 3 weeks before you get to the USA. Apple was clearly using the old under promise over deliver strategy when estimating availability and delivery dates.