Can I switch between word docs using keyboard only

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jojoba, Jun 28, 2017.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

Basically, what the title says. I use the Command+' key, but I still need to click on the document that I want to switch to. Is there a way to switch documents using keyboard only, the way you can do in Windows?
    Thanks!

Screenshot 2017-06-28 18.27.57.png

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

3. jojoba, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017

jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks a lot for this, Rhett7660. The only option listed in this text that is completely cursor free is number 1, which is the one I'm using. However, it doesn't allow me to move through documents as the text suggests. It only brings up a list of the open documents, and the only way I have managed to actually select one of them is by using the cursor. I've tried to combine this short cut with different other commands to see if there is another way to scroll though the documents and select one using the keyboard, but I haven't been able to find one so far.

Edited to add: I just fixed it, there was a setting in System Preferences that messed it up. I also just discovered the app exposé option, which is very useful.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

So you are able to switch now without using the mouse?

I was able to switch between the open documents by using the "command+~". Was that not working for you? When I tested it after I read your post it actually just switched between documents. No list showed up.

5. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

I have a Norwegian keyboard and it doesn't have the "~"-key. Having looked around on the internet, it seems like the type of keyboard can affect how this is done. However, if I now use the (command+') (the last button being the one above the tab-key, to the left of the keyboard), I get all the open docs up on the screen and I can navigate through them using arrows and then selecting one of them using the enter key.
    Screenshot 2017-06-28 21.28.17.png

Screenshot 2017-06-28 21.27.47.png

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah that might be an issue with trying to find the "~". Curious to see what the equivalent of the "~" key is on your keyboard, when I hit the above commands it cycles through the open documents, but doesn't display them like how your screen shots display them. Very interesting.

I wonder if you could create a custom keyboard command if you are not happy with the above, that does what I described.

Either way I am glad you were able to do what you wanted to do.

7. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

That's a really good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to experiment with that.

8. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

UPDATE: i've now, completely by accident, found the best solution that seamlessly allows me to flick through open documents within the same app: ALT + 9

:):)

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Very nice! At least you found it! ;):)