Can I sync 1080p to original iPad/iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kbutler84, May 5, 2012.

1. kbutler84 macrumors regular

Without jailbreaking, is there a way I can sync 1080p (either bought from iTunes or created with Handbreak) movies/tv shows to my original iPad?

I own an Apple TV 2 which I know will only display at 720p, but it'd be nice to be able to start buying/converting movies to 1080p for the future when I buy a new iPad and Apple TV 3. But I want to still be able to sync those 1080p movies to my current original iPad/iPhone 4.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No the orignal iPad and iPad 2 are not capable of displaying 1080p content, according to this Apple support page:

iTunes: Sync purchased HD videos to iPod or iOS device

3. Birkan macrumors member

Birkan

Of course there is, you just need a proper application which has quicktime support.In my case I'm using Readdle Docs on my iPod Touch 4th Gen.It's not free but you can download and use OPlayer Lite.Make sure in the settings Qui
    cktime plugin support is on.Also you need to have iOS 5.Don't forget that only MP4 and MOV files up to 1080p will work :)

4. kbutler84 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

They both are. It's just that you can't sync 1080p to the former (and also to the latter under iOS 4.x). As I've explained above, if you sync to a 3rd party player with HW. decoding, both models will play them just fine.