Can I sync contacts from my iPhone to an unsynced computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doju, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I bought a new MacBook Pro, and my old iPhone was synced to it, and not my new one. I have the songs and everything covered, but I'd really like all the new contacts I have added to my iPhone on my MacBook Pro as well.

I'm getting a 4S to replace my current 3GS so I'd like the contacts on the 3GS to be on the 4S, and as the 3GS has yet to sync with my laptop I can't just do a regular sync.

Note, I'm running iOS 4.2 and do not wish to update my 3GS to iOS 5, and I know iCloud would be able to do this easily, but I'd rather not update right now.

2. stevesmynametoo macrumors newbie

i was at genius bar today for same.....

backup your old phone. highlight your devise in i-tunes, right click backup. hook up new phone and follow directions. The backup stays on the computer, so I am going to back up each week, was not aware how easy it would be. Always did it thru i tunes. I was told, THINK MERGE NOT RESTORE when you are doing this.

I have not tried it yet. Just be sure you have a backup. I also backed contacts up on idrive app for free. My old phone currently has my corrected contacts, 765 total. Once on the computer, I will go thru them again and weed out what I don't need. Then set it to i cloud sync, but only after it is correct and complete. May take a few days to clean up perfectly.

Let us know how this works or if anyone else has any ideas.

Sometimes the genius bar does not serve the correct cocktail !