Can I sync phone tones via icloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tammster, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I added some tones into my iTunes library & I see them in the Tones folder but when I try to sync those tones to my iPhone 5 I'm getting this annoying message: "The iPhone “Tammys iPhone” is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?".

I know i have synced ONLY this mac to my iPhone 5 so this is quite annoying. I do all of my backups via iCloud so I generally don't see any reason to need to sync my phone to iTunes anyway.

The problem is that I have tones I want in my phone and can't do it without somehow resolving the syncing issue. Is there a way (without jailbreaking or downloading 3rd party software) to get those tones on my phone?? I download all of my music, tv shows, movies etc via iCloud. Can't I also get my tones from there? (if so I can't figure out how!).

Thanks in advance...

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

How often do you do this exactly?

When people say "sync music with iCloud" this really means your music were purchased from Apple, OR you have them on your Mac, and what iCloud does is to make it available to your iPhone or other IOS devices on-the-Go.

Now to Add more music "to the Cloud" either you purchase them from Apple in which case is automatic OR you placed new music on your Mac, in which case you have to fire up iTunes on your Mac, import the music into iTunes/Mac, THEN usb-plug in the iPhone into your Mac to copy (sync) the new materials over. So for your OWN stuff, is a multi-step process.

Again, when was the last time u USB-plugged in your iPhone to the Mac? and it was working perfectly then?

3. Tammster thread starter macrumors 6502

Tammster

It's been a few months but, yes, it was working.

Note that I don't want/need to sync music, just ringtones (and this won't be a common thing I'll need to do).

Again, I am wondering of ringtones (like music, tv shows and movies) can sync in the cloud.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I am going to say Yes, ONLY if you purchased them through Apple.

If that ringtone is sitting on your Mac then you MUST go through the iTunes on your Mac and nowhere else. Same with other media that is sitting on your Mac.

If your Mac is telling you, your iPhone is synced with some other Mac (library) then at some point, either you or somebody who had access to your phone plugged in the phone to another Mac/PC and causing u the current problem.

Now the problem is, what happens if you go ahead and say YES, I want to sync with this Mac? That's the immediate question before us isn't it? The danger is, you may lose some media. Now stuff that u purchased from Apple is all safe, you won't lose anything there. And the stuff that's sitting on your Mac in front of you is not going anywhere. You will lose stuff (if any) that came from the OTHER (mystery) mac/pc that this phone was plugged into.

5. Tammster thread starter macrumors 6502

Tammster

Seriously, there was not another computer. It's just not possible. What might be possible is that something goofy related to ios 7 beta happened (although that doesnt really make sense).

I guess it was scary to consider "erasing" my phone. The truth is everything (apps, music, movies, etc) is all in itunes or backed up via icloud (app data).

I guess I'm just surprised that itunes is still required for some things. My mom has just an iphone & an ipad mini but no computer with itunes. I think more and more this will be common. Won't they need to phase out the iTunes requirement eventually??

6. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Surely you can do transfer purchases to your Mac then everything will be on there then. If you just want to put Tones on your phone drag and drop them onto your phone from iTunes then you won't need to sync. I usually do this when adding things to my phone and I don't want to sync because iTunes always messes something up I'm the process.

7. Tammster thread starter macrumors 6502

Tammster

FYI - I made sure everything was backed up & then said YES to this question: "Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?". It did not erase my iPhone at all, just wanted to download some movies to my phone from iTunes (which I stopped) and then it was all ok. After that I was able to copy the new tones (from THIS thread) to my iPhone. Great new tones. :D