Can I sync to a different device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CarboysDesire, Sep 24, 2015.

1. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I currently, and since 2007, have always sync'd and backed up to my iMac 27" desktop, and of course that resides at my home.

I also have a MacBook Air that I use much more frequently these days, and I usually always have it with me.

My 6S Plus will be delivered to my work office tomorrow.

Can I sync my current 6 Plus to my Macbook Air so that when my new 6S Plus arrives tomorrow I don't have to wait until I get home to activate it? I would love to be able to sync my 6 Plus to my Air so that I can activate the new 6S Plus immediately.

I've previously thought that it was not possible, but you guys are smart--is there a way?

2. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Yes.
    2 options off the top of my head.
    1. Back up your current phone to your laptop. Then do the restore in your office.
    2. Back up your current phone to iCloud and restore ota if you have wifi at your office.

3. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

My devices are backed up on 2 different computers and on iCloud. Just for safety.

4. CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

OK, I love this answer, but why am I fearful that it's not so easy?

Shouldn't I be afraid that there are things on my phone that will be erased because they don't exist on my Air at the present time?

I do have wifi at the office, yes.

5. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Put iTunes on your laptop and do a full backup including apps
    Tomorrow restore from your laptop. It is that easy
    Or tonight back up to the cloud, or do both just to be safe

6. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Will 5 million people be trying to restore their new iPhones from the cloud at the same time? Will that bog it down?

7. CarboysDesire, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

OK,
    OK, iTunes is already on my Air. And I subscribe to iTunes match so I can access all my music from the cloud anyway from any device. I do that now. All my music is on my desktop, but it's available via iTunes match to my iPad and to my Air. I turned it off for my iPhone because I prefer to have music actually downloaded to my iPhone because my gym's wifi sucks and I can't handle buffering while I'm there, which is 6 days/week but that's another story.

So anyway, I'm not too concerned about losing the downloaded music because I have to re-download it anyway, to the new iPhone.

I'll do this:

1) Sync and back-up on my usual desktop
    2) Plug the iphone into my Air and do a full back-up there as well.
    3) Tomorrow plug the new iphone into the Air and restore the back-up from #2 above.

That's it?

Seems way toO easy--but I'll try it!

Thank you.

8. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Your welcome and good luck. The MBA should do the trick. Be sure to post your joy!

9. CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

OK, I've completed 1 and 2 above.

Not only did I do a back-up but I did a sync too. None of my downloaded music was lost.

So that's good.

I now have a back-up on my Air.

But I'm confused about the Apps. I have about 75 or 80 apps on my phone. None of those apps are in my iTunes on my Air. They are on my desktop Mac only.

So when I restore from back-up on the new 6S am I going to have to re-download all those apps???

10. CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I suppose I can just wait until I get home, and sync to my desktop and get the Apps that way, instead of re-downloading from the App Store?

11. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

On your mba, when doing the back up, it asks you if you want to copy the apps. Say yes - and those apps will be part of the restore process on your new phone. Also be sure you encript the back up so your passwords will be restored as well.
    But yeah, if you didnt, you can do it again at home later.

12. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

There's an issue with iOS 9 and the new iTunes. iTunes previously would allow you to copy the existing apps on your device back into iTunes, but as of now it will no longer do so. What will happen when you choose to restore from your MBA is that it will copy over all your system files, iCloud settings, app 'data', etc but not the apps themselves. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a 'feature' by Apple due to the app thinning introduced in iOS 9...

After the restore and once you have activated the phone and reached the home screen - your new iPhone will start downloading all of the apps that were on your old device. You would need to be connected to a wifi network for this to start.

13. CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

14. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I wasnt aware of that issue. I did back up my phone before dl'ing 9 to iTunes and iCloud and didnt notice that issue-it is highly probable it didnt back up what few new ones would have been on it.
    Either way, your shiny new device will be zooming soon. I'm a bit jealous as I'm hanging on to my 'paid for' 6 for another hear. To me, it is still an amazing device and does all that I ask, and quickly too. So I am very happy with my 6, but just a tad jealous haha