iPhone Can I take my 3GS back to unjailbroken but unlocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BigRed1, Oct 9, 2012.

1. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I bought my 3GS from a family friend after their AT&T contract expired. I had to jailbreak and unlock via the iPad firmware hack for use on T-Mobile.

I'm currently on 5.0.1 with 6.15.00 bb.

I'd like to eventually get my gps back. I honestly don't care AT ALL about having the jailbreak. I only have the JB so I can be unlocked and work on T-Mobile.

If I get the person I bought the phone from to ask for the unlock from AT&T, can I just upgrade to iOS 6 and be functioning? Do I have to do the baseband downgrade from 6.15.00 first?

If I can't get the person to ask for the unlock from AT&T, can I still downgrade the baseband and stay at 5.0.1 (I didn't get the blobs for 5.1.1)?

Thanks for any help on this - I'm at that dangerous level of knowledge that allows me to get far enough to really mess things up.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

3. BigRed1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - I won't be able to check for a few hours.

4. BigRed1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tiny Umbrella won't run on my machine (32 bit Intel Mac Mini). Any other ways to check?

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Isn't this all irrelevant? If he can get his friend to request the unlock from AT&T, can't he just downgrade his baseband using Redsn0w (being careful to select the correct 5.0.1 ipsw) and then do a DFU mode restore to 6.0? Am I missing something?

7. BigRed1 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was really hoping. So I do have to downgrade the BB before I update to iOS6?

----------

Cydia's first page tells me: SHSH: iOS 4.1, 5.0.1.

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Option generation...

or a simple ebay IMEI unlock would do the trick as well