Can i take off External Drive when the mac sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aleni, Jul 12, 2011.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

I never shutdown my macbook pro, so when there is an external drive connected, can i just close the mbp to make it sleep and plug the external off without ejecting it first?

thanks!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It will cause the mac to wake up and then give you the disk disconnected unsafely (or whatever the message actually says) warning.

Eject the drive before you put it to sleep, or wake up the machine and eject it if you want to do it safely.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"can i just close the mbp to make it sleep and plug the external off without ejecting it first?"

No -- you always want to eject the external device/drive first.

If you don't use care in doing this, you _might_ end up with directory damage on the external drive, and sometimes they become un-recognizable to the Mac (won't mount up again).

Wake it up first, eject the drive, then put it back to sleep.....

BTW, I would also recommend that you do a "full restart" of the Mac at least once every couple of days. Nothing like "waking up fresh"!

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

That's a Windows problem. It's not necessary for Macs. I leave my MBP running for weeks at a time. I really only reboot when a system update requires it.

I used to reboot more often because of system degradation problems, but removing Flash from my Mac fixed that completely.