Can I tether wifi from my iPhone to my laptop?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LyricalMenace, Mar 20, 2011.

1. LyricalMenace macrumors member

This may seem like a stupid question but I must ask.

My girlfriend gets a great wifi signal (full bars) on her iPhone. She gets her wifi from the apartment above her. However when she tries to connect the laptop the wifi signal is very weak or won't even pick it up.

Is it possible for her to grab the wifi on her phone, and tether the wifi to her laptop?

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

So she is engaged in theft of service from the neighbor?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tell her to move the laptop around till she finds the spot of the house that gets good signal.

4. jdaniel macrumors 65816

if people are stupid enough to leave the service unprotected then.. u know..tuff
    its like leaving money on the ground.

5. Psychmike macrumors regular

Wow, that's some rationalization going on there. Seriously, is that something you'd be proud to say in front of your parents?

How about if I leave things in my house but don't close the door? How about if I close the door but don't lock it? How about if I buy a cheap lock? What if the store owner isn't looking? What if they don't lock up the office supply cabinet?

People who exploit others will generally find a way to rationalize their actions. I'd rather be someone who tries to be fair to others. It makes the world a little more of a livable place for me.

6. LyricalMenace thread starter macrumors member

She is friends with the guy upstairs and he is aware she is piggybacking off his internet. I told her to have him a buy a better router lol.

But back to the matter at hand, is this possible?

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

you can do as you please :) And yes i would say it infront of anyone. If you want to use silly examples go ahead. People surf using open wifi all the time, some even make it a sort hobby out of hunting for wifi signals there are even programs out there to help you do it.... Its not something I could be bothered with doing but I dont see a problem with it. :p

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

MyWi has a feature where it can tether the Wifi you get with the iphone and bridge it to USB when connected to laptop.
    But you will need to get MyWi to do it.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If she's willing to use a cable, she can buy tetherme and tether the iphone and computer.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, that would be alot easier, cheaper and she could do it anywhere without having to rely on the neighbor or anyone else;)

11. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I dont understand why people feel the need to make comments about morality constantly, completely bypassing the topic at hand.

Answer the guys question. If you cant, then keep moving. No one cares what you think morally.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because they're perfect and never did anything wrong in their life:D
    And they got a really high horse they ride every day:)

13. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Sorry people can be a little quick to judge.

My neighbor and I both have eachothers wifi passwords and use them if we have any problems with our own.

Not sure I would let someone use it all the time since that would slow mine down but to each his own.

I've never tried to use MiWi to share wifi, let us know if it works.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Ugh, why not just answer the OP's question vs give advice he doesn't need or is looking for:confused: