Can i theme without Winterboard?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by user1690, Sep 11, 2011.

1. user1690 macrumors regular

user1690

Hey guys!

Silly me screwed my iPhone up and it needed restoring, but iTunes decided to get ULTRA complicated and wouldnt restore me to 4.3.3 so i gave up, and went to 4.3.5 and im fully aware i can only tether jailbreak since i hear the devs that do the jailbreak apps are waiting till iOS 5 before releasing another untethered jailbreak (Unless im missing something?)

Anyway, since i mostly only use jailbreaking for the odd utility and themes, is it possible for me to SSH into my iPhone (or use a USB Filesystem viewer application) and apply themes that way? I only wish to change the iPhones native app icons (not any apps i've spent money on since apparently they do integrity checks) and the lockscreen battery icons or am i stuck with the default icons until i jailbreak and get Winterboard?

-Any info is appreciated :D

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yeah, you can SSH into your phone and replace those icons. For other non-native app icons, everytime you update that app, the icon will go away every time. You can also swap out the battery icons as well.

3. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Interesting, i was under the impression that changing non-native apps, for example; ones i bought from the appstore would not run after changing the icon? Something about an integrity check that takes place?

Thanks for the info anyway.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you can change/replace them with no probs.
    It is a pain though doing it manually.

5. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Yeah i guess it will be :p

To be honest im through with jailbreaking for now (At least, until iOS 5 and a jailbreak for it is released), just want to change some minor icons and stuff. I assume if i want to change sounds, they must be .aiff?

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Only a few games will give you issues on icon changes, but seriously, if you're going to start changing app store icons too, you might as well use Winterboard for the convenience factor. If you're really running so little, WB is a total non issue. (For that matter, it's a total non issue on my iPhone 4, which is running a LOT more in the way of tweaks than anyone sane would recommend. It's really only a problem on older phones with slower processors and less memory.)

And most system sounds end in .caf. Search this forum for "running silent"--it's a thread I started a while back, and someone was kind enough to post the entire list of names of the file sounds.

7. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Got an iPhone 3GS here, and when it was jailbroken i agree that winterboard was fast and usefull, but for now im staying un-jailbroken.I'll give this a shot and see how it goes.