Can I throttle my payments to ATT?

rdcook89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Does anyone know if ATT pays a flat rate for each payment? Would it cost them anymore if I broke up my payments for my bill to 20-30 separate payments? They're threatening to throttle my data usage, so I thought I would throttle and slow down my payments to them.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Does anyone know if ATT pays a flat rate for each payment? Would it cost them anymore if I broke up my payments for my bill to 20-30 separate payments? They're threatening to throttle my data usage, so I thought I would throttle and slow down my payments to them.
Yes, provided you do it with a credit card. They need to pay processing fees.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
haha. I would like to pay them $150 per month but in actuality cap it at $75. Can I do this?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
They might try to tether you, or put you behind 5 bars, requiring you to jailbreak.

HCO

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Memphis,Tenneessee
this had me lmao.

aloecool

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
That is actually not a bad idea. I might try it next month and break down my payments and earn some extra per transaction cash back points.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
They pay around 2% per transaction (depends on the card). It doesn't really matter if your pay $5 or $150, the amount they pay at the end of the month would be the same.
Check if they take cash payments in store, and pay them with pennies.

sdfu93

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
They pay around 2% per transaction (depends on the card). It doesn't really matter if your pay $5 or $150, the amount they pay at the end of the month would be the same.
Check if they take cash payments in store, and pay them with pennies.
There is typically a per transaction cost, on top of a percentage. AMEX has the highest fees of any credit card. There are stories of people doing this / paying in pennies.

The upside would be that AT&T realizes the fees and opts to cancel your account, giving you a contract-free phone.

EDIT: AT&T does accept $0.01 payments via credit card on their website!

Last edited:

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
There is typically a per transaction cost, on top of a percentage. AMEX has the highest fees of any credit card. There are stories of people doing this / paying in pennies.

The upside would be that AT&T realizes the fees and opts to cancel your account, giving you a contract-free phone.

EDIT: AT&T does accept $0.01 payments via credit card on their website!
Hmm I usually use my debit card for bills, but time to break out the AMEX!

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
SOME companies pay a transaction fee. Some pay a percent.

Debit cards are per transaction.

Whatever you do, make sure you are paid in full by the due date.

There is a downfall to this whole thing. If a payment gets messed up, trying to reconcile could be a major pain.

And to be real, you might feel good "stickin it to the man", they would never even notice or care with mega millions of customers.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Probably one of the funniest things I've read yet.

Hmm I usually use my debit card for bills, but time to break out the AMEX!
Why? You don't collect reward points and your transactions are less secure in case your identity is stolen and unauthorized payments are made! I'm very apprehensive to use my debit card anywhere but to withdraw cash from an ATM or pay my bills.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
haha. I would like to pay them $150 per month but in actuality cap it at $75. Can I do this?
You can always tell them this:

You can't help it if they are unable to get the full payment because the rate of payment is throttled.

No rollover data? No rollover payments. They didn't get get everything in the billing cycle? Tough, they lose it.

You should also charge them roaming fees for doing walk-in payments.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I had this whole reply written out and then realized how asinine your question actually is.

Let's say (for the sake of ease) you owe them 100 a month (1200 annually)
You should pay 12 payments of 100 dollars.
Instead, you make 20 payments of $60, or 1.6 payments a month to them.
This does not matter to them, nor will it affect them in any way as long as you pay the full bill on time.

*This also largely ignores the contract you signed (you read it, didn't you?) that clearly states what your responsibility is and what theirs is. I'm not saying they're right, I'm saying you went in with fully knowledge of what the situation was and did it anyway. you could have walked away and picked a different carrier, signing a contract in your own free will and then complaining about it is beyond ridiculous, no one made you do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.