Can I trade my iphone 5 in for its value at the Apple Store when I pick up my 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by horizonflyer, Sep 10, 2014.

1. horizonflyer macrumors newbie

horizonflyer

Over the summer my 5 (which I'd had since it was launched) was dropped in a lake (never bring your fiance on a jetski - enough said) I didn't have the Apple Care so had to bite the bullet and buy a new 5 for $249 IIRC.

If I pre-order the 6 to be picked up at the Apple store - can I trade in my 5 where they give you the value on a gift card and can I apply that to the price of the 6? I have never pre-ordered from apple.com before so don't know if you have to pay everything online when you order.

If that doesn't work, and I can trade in the 5, maybe I can apply the value to the cost of Apple Care for the 6?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd try selling it on CL or any of those online programs like swappa, gazelle etc...
    Apple and carrier trade in programs don't give you much at all for your device.

3. nickkrumors macrumors member

From what I was told last week, yes.

Thats my plan. I have a box from Gazelle for $295 for my iPhone 5s, but the Apple store is offering $310. I know its just $15 more, but it is more.

My wife's 5 is only $165 through Gazelle, but $205 in the Apple Store.

Plus it will be a pretty seamless transaction.

4. bisnicks macrumors regular

On with Apple chat regarding this right now.

At the Apple Store they told me that since my iPhone 5 is having the sleep/battery issue and is eligible Apple is boosting the trade in value by $80 instead of having to send it in to be fixed. From what the trade in website says, that means I'll get $285 for my black 32GB Verizon iPhone 5. Considering they go for just above that on eBay but would get even less after fees and the potential of being scammed, I think it's worth it. It also saves the headache of craigslist and dealing with those people.

EDIT: Their reply... paying in store is not an option if you preorder. Payment is required at the time of preordering.

[​IMG]

5. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to figure out how you can do this while pre-ordering. Is that even an option?

6. CKtoph macrumors 6502

If you can live without your phone for a week and willing to risk the possibility of not getting a pre-order in or the delivery not coming in time, you could just sell your iPhone back ahead of time and get the Apple gift card to use for the pre-order.

7. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Yes you can, but please note that based on my prior experiences the offer in-store is MUCH less than what they quote you for online. especially at the point of sale.

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Apple employs those tactics?

9. bisnicks macrumors regular

What the manager in-store told me lines up with the amount I'm being offered online.

----------

I believe you can only sell your phone to them if you're putting it towards a new phone in the same transaction.

10. CKtoph macrumors 6502

When we traded in my wife's iPhone for a 5S, we actually got more than what all of the online competitors offered and exactly the same as what the 3rd party off of Apple's website offered.

11. jamies90 macrumors regular

When I looked at trading in my iPhone 5 for a 5S at a store here in the UK I was offered approx £40 less than what Apple offered on their website.

12. KisakiSama macrumors member

KisakiSama

Was that on launch day or later?

13. Maltoo2 macrumors member

Amazon will give you $225 for a 32 gig 5

14. sallenthornton macrumors regular

I am interested in selling my iPhone 5s and iPhone 5, but after reading Apple's trade-in program, it seems they want to give me a gift card. No cash. Does that sound correct?

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yep it is.

16. derekgroves macrumors member

Safe to assume that gift card can't be applied to a NEXT balance you may be wanting to pay off in order to "reset" your NEXT eligibility, but, what about using the gift card for the upfront tax that's due on the NEXT purchase?

17. Steel28 macrumors member

Wonder if Canadian Apple stores have same trade in program.

18. CKtoph macrumors 6502

It was later, about 2 months.

19. KisakiSama macrumors member

KisakiSama

I went by my local Apple store today and asked them about this. He went ahead and checked out my phone and the quote he gave me was the same as what the website quoted me. He also said the quotes had already dropped in preparation for the launch of the 6, so chances are they'll be the same on launch day as they are today.