Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I am considering gifting my AW S4 to a relative. What do I need to do to transfer the Watch including AC Plus? Thanks

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
If you paid for AppleCare+ in full for 2 years it follows the watch automatically.

If you are paying monthly it is tied to your Apple ID & cannot be transferred. You could essentially get a lump sum payment from the relative & keep the monthly subscription open for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMoore515

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I don’t know about watch but I have cancelled Applecare on computers and been refunded for the unused period. Not the same as transferring which I have not tried. Give Applecare a call.

If it is for a relative maybe you could leave Applecare active and they can get you to return it if it goes wrong.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I can confirm that when you pay for AC+ in full, it follows the product. I sold my S4 GSS watch to my buddy, I verified that in his list of devices it states AC+ valid through 2 years after my initial purchase date.

vanhalen26

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
Partly correct. It follows the product, but the original purchaser can cancel the outstanding balance at any time. The original purchaser can also call Apple with the new purchaser and have the ownership transferred. I know this based on buying a second hand phone with Applecare and calling Apple with the original owner and getting it transferred to my account. The only caveat is this was 3 years ago and policies do change.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Partly correct. It follows the product, but the original purchaser can cancel the outstanding balance at any time. The original purchaser can also call Apple with the new purchaser and have the ownership transferred. I know this based on buying a second hand phone with Applecare and calling Apple with the original owner and getting it transferred to my account. The only caveat is this was 3 years ago and policies do change.

I tried to call to have the "ownership" transferred for the AppleCare+ and they told me it does it automatically, as it follows the device and there was no way for me to transfer it.

I think once it is associated with someone else's account, you (the original purchaser) can't cancel it, as it is no longer on your account. If I call with the serial number, I still think they would deny me as it isn't associated with my apple ID anymore. At least is seems this way now (not saying it wasn't different before).

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
AppleCare told myself that whilst if is linked to the device, as it’s an insurance policy, officially they say that transfer of ownership should be completed by putting the name of the new owner on the policy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.