Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Hi all, congratulations for the great community.

I know that when you buy a Lion update you can apply it to all your home computers. So my question is, what happens if I buy now a new computer with Lion? Can I use this Lion to upgrade my current computers without having to pay the 30$?

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
No you can't because you won't get a disk of Lion, just a recovery partition.

But if I register with my Apple ID this new Lion, then they'll know that I "possess" a license for Lion and they could let me install it through the App store in my other computers.

Meriana

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
That of course could be possible - and it would be up to Apple to make that happen. However it's unlikely, operation system licences coming with a new computer usually are only licensed to be used with the computer they got shipped with.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Hmmm, has there been any other discussions about this? (I couldn't find any other threads).

So is it standard procedure when someone buys a new Mac with a new OS, still pay the upgrade for the other computers?

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
That of course could be possible - and it would be up to Apple to make that happen. However it's unlikely, operation system licences coming with a new computer usually are only licensed to be used with the computer they got shipped with.

If you buy a Mac with Lion on it you won't be able to use it to install Lion on other Macs, officially. In theory you perhaps could make an image of your entire hard drive on the new Mac and use that to re-install that on another Mac, but not sure if that would work, especially if they are different models (i.e. Mini and MacBook Pro). I also do not think you could do that as an upgrade on the other Mac, it would likely have to be a new installation, so you would lose whatever is on the older Mac.

Meriana

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
I recommand against cloning an installed operatin system on different hardware, chances are that some drivers or hardware specific configurations don't get updated when the system is booted on the new hardware, which could lead to unpredictable behavior.

As Lion is only 29.99, it's just not worth it.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
It's not about being cheap, it's about not paying for a license twice. I'm not planning to clone hard disks either.

If when you buy a license for OS X you get it for all your computers, I don't understand why you don't get this benefit when you buy a license through another computer.

Does anybody have an official link about this?

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
It's not about being cheap, it's about not paying for a license twice. I'm not planning to clone hard disks either.

If when you buy a license for OS X you get it for all your computers, I don't understand why you don't get this benefit when you buy a license through another computer.

Just spend the $30 to upgrade your other Macs. Your question has been answered repeatedly.

zoooctan

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011

Hi. At the risk of being called cheap or some other thing, please allow me to add my perspective to this whole thing - context. You see much like several of the people here asking the questions about Lion, I went through the same thought process BEFORE purchasing the new 2011 MBA. It's about the thought process, not the $30. You see I did purchase and love the 2010 MBA about six months ago! And absolutely loved it.

However I do need the backlit keyboard for work and the added processor is a good bonus, but still it's a hard sell (to buy ANOTHER MBA) given that I also have a 21-inch iMac.

Out comes Lion and is available for ALL AUTHORIZED MACS (Apple's own term) for $29+. Now do the math. I could just pay $29 for my current MBA and the iMac - which is the normal and sane thing to do.

However I am fortunate to have a friend volunteer to buy my current 2010 MBA! So when I do the sums (and add in the amount I would have paid, $30 for Lion); I now find that adding in the backlit keyboard, better processor AND Lion (for which I would have happily paid for the iMac / old MBA) would set me back for about $200+. So I hope you can see that in this context, that is why someone (and I) would be asking about the ability to transfer said license to another Mac. Cause it was in our thought process.

I know it probably wouldn't have paid a significant part or made a difference, but it a factor. Please consider this before you rant on someone or call them cheap.
Being Mac users, imply you've already made an implicit choice to think more about your purchases... failing to understand that in others and then presuming their motives isn't cool.

~ waits for backlash ~

dodgie

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Just to add my 2p's worth, I bought a new iMac a month ago which came with Snow Leopard and qualified for their "Up To Date" programme.

I have an old Mac Mini and MacBook both running Snow Leopard and all three machines are authorised with the App Store using my Apple ID.

I filled out the Up To Date web form on my new iMac and was credited with a free Lion download in the App Store, this then appeared on all of my other machines as available to install...

Just sayin'

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011

The license that comes with a new computer covers only that single computer. I do not for the life of me understand why anyone would think that that single license should cover all of their other Macs as well just because the App Store purchase of Lion does. One is a paid upgrade and one is the standard OS shipped with a machine, their licenses are not the same.

benjamintm

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
The license that comes with a new computer covers only that single computer. I do not for the life of me understand why anyone would think that that single license should cover all of their other Macs as well just because the App Store purchase of Lion does. One is a paid upgrade and one is the standard OS shipped with a machine, their licenses are not the same.

Here's the part of the Lion EULA that pertains to you:
A. Standard and Preinstalled Apple Software License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you obtained the Apple Software from the Mac App Store or under a volume license, maintenance or other written agreement from Apple, you are granted a limited, non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at any one time. For example, these standard single-copy license terms apply to you if you obtained the Apple Software preinstalled on Apple-branded hardware.

But if you buy a copy from the store (somehow), this section applies to you:

(i) to download, install, use, and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server ("Mac Computer") that you own or control;

So basically if you get a copy with your machine (e.g. your new machine) that is not transferable, but if you buy a copy from the app store, you get to install it on the rest of the machines your control.

Ben

Joypebble

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
But is IS Cheap

But it IS about being cheap. When you license a photo to use to sell your product, you cannot use that same photo again to sell another product. That's what licensing is all about. It's paying for usage rights, not a physical product. It's not real property. It's intellectual property where you don't own anything except the limited usage rights. (Have you ever read what you agreed to?)

People who buy a license are buying a limited usage right. That's how creative people and business who make things that are idea-based get paid for their hard work.

What's wrong with paying for the software "fuel" to run your new device?

---GG

Last edited:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Firstly, it is not free. You paid when you bought the computer. Secondly...the license on your new computer is not transferable. But...the nice thing is...if you go in the app store and purchase a license of Lion you can install it on all your old macs :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.