Can I transfer from MacBook to Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dawgfan, Dec 2, 2014.

1. dawgfan macrumors 6502

dawgfan

My mid-2007 MacBook is having issues and I bought a mid-2012 MacBook Air. Can I transfer my iTunes music library, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Safari bookmarks and top sites to the newer machine?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Use the iCloud to sync your bookmarks. Copy your ~/Music folder from the old computer to the new. I think you'll need to reinstall Photoshop Elements.

You could also use the migration assistant to basically move everything over without the need to reinstall.

3. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

To clarify, the old machine has Mac OS X 10.7.5 and the newer one will come with a fresh install of Yosemite. Will there be a problem?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No problem. Migration Assistant has you covered.

5. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I just setup a new MBA over the weekend for a family member with a 2008 MacBook. I made a time machine backup of the old machine, plugged the disk into the new machine and then used Migration Assistant. It worked fine.

Now if you have any old software that requires Rosetta, that will not work anymore. But if you were running 10.7 on the old computer, that shouldn't be an issue because 10.7 didn't support Rosetta anyway.

BTW, the new machine actually had 10.9 on it "out of the box" so I had to install Yosemite. That was kind of a pain, but I have a very slow internet connection.

7. motrek macrumors 68020

You can also use SuperDuper to make an exact copy of your internal drive onto an external drive, in case you don't feel like setting up Time Machine.

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

I did a Time Machine setup of a mid 2012 MBA last week. The backup was from another MBA. Setup assistant made it very easy and quick.

9. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Migration Assistant/Time Machine worked beautifully. Thanks for all of your input!

Merry Christmas all.