Can I transfer Leopard from New to old?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JustOneQuickONe, Dec 13, 2008.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

Recently Just bought a newer macbook, not the newest Aluminum one however, but anyways, I was wondering if there was a way to put Leopard on my old macbook by ways of the new one? I still use my old one quite often, its my traveling notebook, it goes to class, roadtrips etc. with me while the other stays in the house and or goes on short trips to the library or something. I just feel like it would be nice to be running the same OSX edition but don't want to fork out $116 (student discount) just to get them to run the same.
    Thanks

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

From what I heard I don't think so...It'd be called piracy...

3. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

well I did buy a $1200 and a $1000 computer from them and own the software for one the newer one but... Yeah I wasn't sure if it would be or not since I own one, thought it'd be like making a copy of a CD but that's what I was afraid of, look like I'll have to put up with two different or just fork out the cash :rolleyes:

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If Leopard was preinstalled on your MacBook, then what you are proposing is not only illegal, it it impossible. The shipping OS is model-specific. You cannot install it on a different model Mac.

5. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, thanks for the info. Off to the apple store!:D

6. The General macrumors 601

Well, you could have used an external harddrive and Carbon Copy Cloner.

It's the install disk that refuses to install on another model, but what it installs is compatible.