Can I transfer .me accounts to the cloud?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by UncleheFTy, Dec 15, 2011.

1. UncleheFTy macrumors member

Good morning, as an old 'un I got a shock a couple of days ago when I was in my local Apple Centre - talking about the Cloud and my .me accounts (I have 4; 1 x private 2 x work and 1 x community based. I use a wonderful old (like me) MacBookPro Core Duo that cannot use Lion and I was asking the question about what happens to my 4 accounts when and if I transfer to the Cloud.

The answers dismayed me;
    • First I have no option but to go to the cloud if I have mobile me accounts, that means that I have to purchase a new MBP!
    • Second, I cannot continue to use my .me accounts after 30th June 2012 unless I do so via the webmail option (not good and nowhere near as flexible as MacMail).
    So, fellow communards, my questions are simple;
    • Will all of my 4 .me accounts be capable of being used if, or more apposite, when I get a new MBP and enter the cloud?
    • How will each of these address and sync with my other devices (iPad and iPhone)?
    • Will I have to use one of the accounts as the sync for contacts, calendars etc. or will I need to set up contacts and calendars for each one?

I know that someone on here will have some answers in 'layman's' English and look forward to receiving them.

Uncle H

2. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Unfortunately, you can't 'consolidate' apple IDs. The way I see it (and I am in a kind of similar situation), you run your current mobile me subscription to the end of its grace period. In the meantime if you want a new machine, then buy one but I wouldn't buy one just for iCloud. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself what it is that you use your mobile me account for that you will really miss when it's going off air. If it's just good old mail, then you don't need a new machine to use mail in a native application (which I agree is infinitely better than web based mail).

Other than that, you can back up your iOS devices on your laptop as you have done up until now so you don't NEED iCloud (it's nice to have it, but you don't NEED it).

What is your current machine's operating system?

Can I make a suggestion (blind)? If you are looking at a new machine, I would suggest buying a 13" Macbook Air. Even if you need a disc drive, you can pick an external one (amazon basic do a good range) for £25 and you can plug it in when you need it.

There may be a new Macbook air coming out in March-June timeframe but unless you are a gamer (you don't strike me as one) and need the graphic upgrade that the new processor will bring), you are better off buying a refurbished 2011 one which when the new range comes out will be available for 22% discounts.

Good luck

3. UncleheFTy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that confuzzzed,

I am currently on Snow Leopard (which suits me quite nicely thank you very much!) and 'No' I am not a gamer - in fact the only 'games' I participate on are Scrabble and Solitaire (shows how old I am).

As much as I appreciate your comments, the answers apply as much to me as they do to my wife who has a couple of .me accounts and also POP3 accounts. What strikes me is that Apple have been a tad coy about coming fully into the gaze of their users with this change - it will affect the hundreds of thousands of MAC users who took up mobile me family subscriptions. I think I need to find a real workable solution as most of my contacts (work and personal) know me under my .me account names and I really don't wish to change the many subscriptions that I already have (banks, clubs, channels and forums et al).

So, let me ask the question in a different way; Can I have more than one .me account on the cloud and if so can I recycle the subsidiary account names from my family subscription.

My brain hurts (to misquote B J Gumby)!

Uncle H

4. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I don't think anyone will take the .me email addresses away. The only reason where it may affect you adversely if you don't consolidate to a single Apple ID would be the sharing of iTunes library (in the cloud as it were) and/or apps on your iPhones / iPads.

Just ignore the noise and carry on regardless! Snow Leopard remains by far my favourite operating system.

Seriously, if you worry about other mobile me services (like iDisc, calendar etc) then yea, you need to worry about iCloud. Otherwise, it's carry on regardless. I still have my old .mac email account despite the fact I stopped paying for the service in 2005!

How many Apple IDs do you have? i.e. for purchasing things on iTunes and/or app store?