can I transfer pdf's to/from my iPad on the fly?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pogieboi, Mar 23, 2012.

1. pogieboi macrumors newbie

I would like to access my pdf's on my computer without having to email them to myself or using a cloud base system. Is syncing them the only alternative? These pdf's have confidential info and I don't want to chance them getting lost inn cyberspace. Yes you can call me paranoid.

2. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Look at FileBrowser. This is an app that is supposed to allow users to access files on a remote computer or a NAS.

It is $5, but I am also thinking of trying it and seeing if it is a nice alternative to syncing files all the time.

3. cfs macrumors 6502a

Goodreader can do this but I think you may need to be close to your computer. What Goodreader can do is basically transfer your content form iPad to laptop/computer wirelessly without storing it in the cloud. So all you need is to share a wireless connection between the iPad and laptop/desktop. You can also password protect the Goodreader application if you want to keep the documents on your iPad.

Goodreader does a lot more as well. It is a very useful tool.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

PDF Expert can do this via wifi. It has the ability to act like a wifi drive allowing you to upload/download PDFs via http to the ipad's IP address using WebDAV protocol.

It also supports password-protecting access when turned on.

5. turbotoes macrumors regular

I use filebrowser, works great with my NAS and any type of file. PDFs or epubs directly into iBooks or word and excel files into quick office. All works in both directions.

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Can you also access files when not at home or do you need to be on the same network for it to work?

7. pogieboi thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

I only want to access the files at work, never at home or on the road.
    I looked at file browser and it looks promising. I will look at goodreader tonight.

8. pogieboi thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

I only want to access the files at work not at home or on the road.

9. turbotoes macrumors regular

I can't answer that as I only need to access my own network.
    But I believe that file browser supports access to Dropbox so that might help you.

10. cfs macrumors 6502a

RE your files at work on a computer in front of you or are they located on a server?

11. pogieboi thread starter macrumors newbie

in front of me

my computer is in another room, close by and I want to be able to access the files from that computer and to add files to that computer, with very little storage on the ipad it self. I just saw a couple of network hd's that may do the trick.