Can I trick my iPT into thinking it's in the US?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 03 Hodag, Nov 6, 2009.

1. 03 Hodag macrumors member

I have a jailbroken 2nd generation iPod Touch and I live in Canada. I just got the NBA League Pass application and the app determines my location automatically. However, the app does not allow games to be viewed outside the US. Is there a way to fool my iPod Touch into thinking that I'm in the US so I can thus enjoy the application's full functionality? Thanks for the help!

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

It knows where you are from the Source of Internet, so if you could somehow setup a proxy to fool it into thinking its in the US, then you could.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You can change store...

Go in the Store preferences panel and it should be there.

However if you have store credits you'll have to spend them all before.

4. 03 Hodag thread starter macrumors member

Alright, so how would one go about setting up a proxy on an iPod Touch to make it think it's in the US? Is there a jailbroken app for that?:D

5. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

6. MacorgaZ macrumors newbie

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Thats not what the OP is asking. The question is, is there a way to trick the ipod touch to think that its located in the US when connected to WIFI so it can pick up the NBA League Application.

As far as I know I'm not sure there is a way to fool the iPod to where the signal is coming from, but maybe there are some settings in the application? I haven't played around with it yet.. What about emailing the developer? They would probably know better than anyone else..?

9. jordand321 macrumors member

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

One more vote for hotspot shield.
    I use it to watch hulu and such from Europe.

11. 03 Hodag thread starter macrumors member

Hotspot Shield seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I read about it a bit and it should allow me to use US-only apps like Pandora and NBA League Pass.

However for some reason I can't access the Hotspot Shield website. The above link appears to be what I want but maybe he website is down? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

12. 03 Hodag thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so for some reason the only way I can even get to the Hotspot Shield website is to use an anonymous web browser. Once I get there I follow all the instructions and when my iPT tries to connect to the VPN it gives me this error message:

"The L2TP-VPN server did not respond. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator."

I've double and triple checked the settings that the Hotspot Shield website gives me and everything is as it should be, but every time I try to connect I get the above message.

I figure it has something to do with the fact that I can't even get to the Hotspot Shield website without using an anonymous browser. Could it be that my ISP blocks the Hotspot Shield website for some reason? Help!

13. felixen macrumors 6502a

I just set this up but the nba app stil wont let me watch the games. When the app starts up it asks for permission to determine my location. if I hit no I get a message saying users can't watch games when they won't let the app determine their location.. When I hit yes it sees I'm in Denmark and blocks all the games. What the hell??

14. felixen macrumors 6502a

I have a question for the setup.. Below where you type in the account password it says "secret". On the setup guide on HotspotShield they have written "password" here. Does this mean I should also write the word "password" or do they mean that I should ALSO write in my actual account password here (if that's the case I've written it two times in a row, because you also have to type in your actual password in the box above).

And also, does anyone know if this will even work with the NBA Leage Pass app since the app needs your location???