Can i trust Aperture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xper, Apr 12, 2008.

1. xper macrumors 6502

xper

Hi!

I just bought Aperture 2 a couple of days ago, the application is great, much betten then Lightroom imo.

But i have one problem, i often import large volume of photos each time because i am taking about 500-1500 photos each photosession, when i am importing the photos everyting works flaweless, if i import 600 photos, it says that there is 600 photos in the project, the problem is that it randomly skip showing some photos, maybe 2 photos at a time. I try to import those images manually by draging and dropping but it still doesnt show up.
    I don´t have "autostacks" turned on or anything.

What if i import a couple of photosession and i dont notice that a couple of photos deosnt show up, important ones?

Anyone know what the problem can be?

2. heppy macrumors member

not to say that you're lying but it must be stacks or you've got the grouping setting on (might be the same as stacks, not sure!) whereby it's only displaying the first photo if taken together quicky.

Set your broswer to non thumbnail and see if the pic is listed there

3. xper thread starter macrumors 6502

xper

4. quest4apple macrumors member

I am not sure I understand. On one hand you say the correct number of images are imported, but that you say certain images are missing. TO clarify, the image you just posted shows "611 Images Displayed." Is that the correct number of should it have been 612 or 613? Or, is 611 the correct number, but you can only actually find 609 or 610?

If 611 is the correct number, than the image is there somewhere. If you give us some more details, we can probably help you find it.

5. xper thread starter macrumors 6502

xper

611 is the correct number, Aperture says that there is 611 pictures in the project but it is a gap between some photos, the filenamenumbers should not be broken.

I made a little movie that maybe can clarify the problem:
    http://www.rogatio.com/temp/FinderScreenSnapz001.mov

6. heppy macrumors member

have you looked in the library as opposed to the album - are you sure there are no filers applied? It's a bit of a weird one, if the program is saying there are 611 images then they should be there - quite strange....

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Hi,
    On one or two occasions, I've had the same experiences as you! It seems that if you are importing a reasonable number of pictures, they can sometimes appear out of order. If, as you say, the number of images displayed is the same as originally imported, they must all be there! - they are just displayed out of order. This can be rectified by dragging the relevant images into their correct positions.

I note you are using Referenced Master Files. Another way to check what Aperture has imported is to "select" all the files in the album and then go to "File > Manage Reference Files". In the next screen, at the top, left-hand corner is a box giving details of the contents of the album together with any files not found. If the resulting figure is correct - no problems :)

Hope this helps...

8. quest4apple macrumors member

Okay, now we know where to start. I like John's advice. Just make sure you use CMD-A or something to select all to capture any that you might not be seeing.

I also noticed that the images all have the little white tag on the them. Are you possibly applying a filter. You are also viewing by date, is there any way the date on the camera was changed between shots, and the images are just out of order?

How about if you view all images in the library? Are they there then?

I appreciate the PNG and mov files. Unfortunately, I can't view the video here at work, so I have to wait to see it. In the meantime, it may also help to see your Projects tab.

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The tags indicate he's using Referenced Master Files (in my opinion, the best way!) and they are also tagged with keywords.

10. quest4apple macrumors member

Right, which is why I asked about a filter. Perhaps the photos he's not seeing were not tagged with whatever keyword the others were.