Can I trust someone to buy for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdylan, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jdylan macrumors regular

jdylan

I know this is a stupid question, and will probably get reamed for it, but I want a 3G. I am a soldier overseas in a Middle Eastern country, and am wondering what I have to do to get one of these. The country I am in isn't getting the iPhone until late 2009.

Any recommendations on how I can do this, without being in the US? I don't mind paying the full cost, as in getting a contract then cancelling it. But how to get a contract? I'm sure I won't be able to do this through a middle-man, right? Do you think a black-market will pop up, of people buying them, cancelling the contract, then selling them for full-price?

Why the "f" is Apple making it so hard for me to get one of these damn things? Before you reply, no, I don't have any relatives in the states who can do this for me, just some elderly distant relatives who still use rotary phones and think the internet is something hookers wear on their legs. I know I can't trust somebody to go through all trouble for me.

I have a friend, maybe I could get him to simply get the thing in his name, cancell the contract, then send it to me, all on my dime?

I see people around here using iPhones, unlocked/hacked, so I know they work on the network. Seeing the purchasing process though, I think it is almost impossible for me to get one. Also, I will be going to Thailand next month for a mini-vacation, do you think I'd be able to get a real one there?

Thanks for any help.

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Keep an eye on eBay. I'm sure they will be popping up.

3. MathiasMag macrumors member

no-contract version

Any chance you could pass through one of the countries that doesn't allow forcing contracts on sales of phones? I think France is one and I believe I've seen the same about Belgium. There are probably more, I just don kow where no-contract versions will be offered.

4. skierdb526 macrumors regular

youll probably going to have to buy then cancel or get a no contract locked one when available. either way someone'll have to do it for you.

5. jalpert macrumors 6502

1.) Sign up for AT&T service online or over the phone.
    2.) Go online and add your friend to your "Authorized Users - Retail Store."
    3.) Have your friend upgrade on your behalf.
    4.) Have friend ship iphone 3G.