Can I try out MBP and return for a refund?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Apr 23, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Hello, for the past week, the fan of my 2010 MBP sounds like a vacuum cleaner and whenever I stop typing, there is a long pause before I can type again. Is it a sign that the machine is dying? We don't know when Apple will release a new MBP for sure. Can I try out the MBP 2017 and if I don't like it return it to Apple for a full refund? If that is the case, how do I remove all data from the SSD?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yes you can you get 14 days to return for a full refund no questions asked, you can use the disk utility to secure erase you drive when needed.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

It is stated in "good condition". I don't know about the current keyboard but in the past, even typing caused scratches on the keys. Will there be a problem?

4. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Sounds like you need a new computer, or need to upgrade your current one.

How much RAM does it have and how big is the HDD or SDD?

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

8GB Max already. When I changed from HDD to SSD, the performance was noticeably much better. Last week, for strange reason, the performance was similar or worse than the time when I used HDD. Could it be due to the Specter/Meltdown patches?

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's usually the classic sign that a process is using all of the processor. This causes the processor to run at full speed, which causes it to get hot, which causes the fans to run full-speed.

If you run Activity Monitor and look at the CPU tab, what does the chart at the bottom look like?

Mine shows my processor is 91.73% idle. So no fans needed.

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 1.46.57 PM.png

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Mine shows: System 9.42%, User: 3.22%, Idle: 48.85%. Treads: 1716, Processes: 438

I noticed that FirefoxCP Web Content takes 103.9% CPU followed by WindowServer at 28.7% CPU.

Anything unusual?