Can I turn a 4th gen. iPhone into an iPod touch?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AniSaps, Sep 20, 2010.

1. AniSaps macrumors newbie

I have an iPod touch (2nd gen., 8GB) and am ready to upgrade to take advantage of the new cameras on the 4th gen. ITouch. However, in comparing prices, I feel more inclined to buy a 4th gen. iPhone. I have heard that it has been possible to use the iPhone as you would an iPod touch, but I haven't been able to find literature on the 4th gen. Models. Is a SIM card required in some way? Is it still possible to jailbreak? Does it still have WiFi available? These are my main concerns..seems like a good idea if it's possible! Let me know what you know regarding this, thanks!

Anitra

2. Claude626 macrumors 6502

An iPhone will do all that an iPod Touch can do... Plus the phone function.

But you can't just walk into a store and walk out with a $200 iPhone 16GB.(or $300 iPhone 32GB) ;)
    There are strings attached... like, a forced 2 year contract with AT&T phone plan with a data plan on top.

Or... you can buy an iPhone with no strings attached off ebay for about $700. Then you gotta figure out how to activate the phone. :)

3. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

you just need a sim to activate the phone everytime you perform a restore... and yes everything will work without a sim card only thing that won't work will obviously be sms and phone

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

OP they are not comparable in price. The initial outlay for an iPhone 4 is low but you will be locked into a 2 year contract with a carrier. The new iPod Touch is just a one off fee. If you need a phone then go for the iPhone 4, but to buy an iPhone 4 and use it as an iPod is frankly silly.

5. AniSaps thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info everyone...looks like the fine print makes this idea less affordable for me, unless there are smoking deals in the private market without a contract.

6. NickkyJ macrumors regular

yeah and there are alot of scammers on the internet that sell iphones so please be careful if you ever buy off of ebay or craigslist.

7. The General macrumors 601

8. Nick0912 macrumors member

You can buy an iPhone from best buy with no contract and a sim card in it, that's what I did.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No matter where u look it will never be cheaper than an iPod touch.
    If that's what u want get a used touch and you won't have to worry about activations, contract etc...

10. Claude626 macrumors 6502

How much did you pay?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

$599 and $699 plus tax.

12. Nick0912 macrumors member

$630 all together for a 16gb

13. bhattsan macrumors member

If you are currently with att, you can "upgrade" to this and then call att switch back to your previous phone and remove the data plan. Then you are only getting hit by the contract extension and still get iphone for 2-300 :D