Can I turn my eMac into something useful?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macswitcha2, Jan 1, 2011.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Such as a TV or a Media Hub? If so, what do I need?

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Which one?

The earlier ones may be too slow...

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You can probably get some kind of USB tuner for it and turn it into a TV, but I bet it'll be too slow to give you much joy as a media server.

Perhaps load a screen saver that points to a directory of photos and make it a large, eclectic picture frame? Or head over to http://www.macintoshgarden.org/ and play vintage games on it.

4. Strimkind macrumors member

eMacs are a good secondary computer for internet and email. They are no good for video and are a bit to fast for vintage gaming. If you have room, they would be a good recipe computer for the kitchen or in the basement as an email server.

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Actually, if your just doing SD video, then most eMacs will cope just fine - I can watch SD and DVDs on my 700Mhz eMac just fine, even if I dont use it for heavy lifting

6. sigamy macrumors 65816

eMacs are still great for kids--very good for Mac OS 9 CD-ROM edu games and basic web sites. Not very good for Flash-based sites like Club Penguin though. Maybe you know someone with a 5-9 year old who would get some good use out of it? If it has a DVD drive then it even doubles as a TV/DVD combo.

Other ideas: iTunes jukebox, dedicated bittorrent download machine, run folding@home or SETI.