Can I turn my TC into AE?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by h9826790, Sep 20, 2015.

1. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I have 2 TCs, and my Mac Pro is running 24/7 as server anyway. So I want to remove the HDD from the old 2T TC and turn it into an AE.

I prefer to do it this way because the backup always fail on this TC. So, I can put the HDD into my USB3.0 enclosure for testing, and which is a much better option to fully utilise the 2T HDD (especially in terms of speed, or use as a backup boot drive).

I've seen a lot of info on the internet on how to turn an AE into a TC, but not the other way around.

Provided that I carefully follow the iFixit guide to remove the HDD (without damage anything). I guess the network part of the TC will still able to function normally. However, is there anyone know if I will get an orange light / any other errors?

I still have plenty of storage, just thinking about fully utilise this 2T HDD. But I don't want to kill the TC, or deal with any errors. Any info are welcome, million thanks in advance.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

By AE do you mean Airport Express or Airport Extreme? At Time Capsule is fundamentally an Extreme with a drive and SATA host. Ignore the HD and you have an Extreme.

If the TC is old, I suggest it is not worth the time and effort to remove such an old HD. Get a nice new HD, they are very cheap these days. Put the new HD into an enclosure that does UASP to get the max transport speed.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I've seen people continue to use a TC with a broken drive inside, so I know it will keep working. But I really don't know if Airport Util would throw a warning if you did that. Looking at Airport Util, I'm not seeing any spot for a warning like that.

4. h9826790 thread starter macrumors 604

h9826790

I mean Airport Extreme. And I want to use it as the Wi-Fi extender.

Yes, the HDD is old. However, I don't want to waste it. It's perfectly good for testing Beta OSX, store some large unimportant files, or BT etc.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You must use the AirPort with another AirPort as the main router if you want to wirelessly extend. It should work fine without a hard drive inside.

6. h9826790 thread starter macrumors 604

h9826790

Thanks for the info, my main router is another TC, so should not be a problem then :D

7. h9826790 thread starter macrumors 604

h9826790

Finally have time to open the TC and get the HDD out. It's a 2T WD Green HDD inside, which still in good condition, write 95MB/s, read 100MB/s when connect to the SATA 2 port directly.

The TC will work as an AE. As Weaselboy point's out, the TC will treat it like a failed HDD inside. Airport Utility will pops up and tell me the HDD failed. Once I choose "Ignore", the light on TC will go back to green, and it will work exactly the same as a normal AE.