Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
i'm tired of my iphone constantly switching between 2g and 3g, especially since my area is caked in 3g. i want to turn it off. i read cydia can turn off EDGE, but i want 2g completely off, including edge. is there a program that can do this?

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
isn't edge data separate from voice? i don't even want my phone looking for 2g for voice service. i notice sometimes i have full bars but no edge or 3g. and i notice other times i have a strange icon that's a blue square with a white circle in it (i assume this is gprs without edge). i basically want my phone to forget about looking at anything except 3g for voice and data. is that what this program will do?

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
wow that's odd. even the "dumb" free 3g phones i've had have had an option for choosing 3g or 2g gsm (or both)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
wow that's odd. even the "dumb" free 3g phones i've had have had an option for choosing 3g or 2g gsm (or both)

whats the point, u can turn off 3G so it uses always edge but if u want 3G u switch it on but if u get in a area without 3G it'll switch automaticly to edge

Linuss

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
EDGE is how you recieve the calls... just turn off 3g until you want to use it as it kills your battery anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.