Can I turn off all thumbnails in Finder & file open dialog boxes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iHateMacs, Aug 27, 2010.

1. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I have dozens of large PSD files (well 200 of them each abt 200mb) on a network drive folder that I need to access frequently.

Access to these is really slow because it seems to want to create thumbnails every time I access that folder.

I don't need thumbnails as all the files have a strict naming convention so I know what I want by name.

Whatever view I use to load files (I'm using Photoshop CS5) (list, column, icons) it always tries to put a little thumbnail preview next to the file name.

Is there something I can type into Terminal that will stop it doing this.

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I take it you do have "Show icon preview" deselected in View Options for that folder in the Finder?

3. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Hmm Thanks. Yeah. Well......

I tried that earlier on today at work on my MBP and it didn't make any difference. Trying it now at home on a different machine it does work.

The real problem is the file open dialog box in Photoshop (I presume this is standard across all OSX apps). There is no option there to not show the previews.

4. josdmyer macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue I think. I use column view all the time and I liked it how I could turn off preview in the preview column and just view the metadata there. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks for the help

5. kothrush macrumors member

kothrush

It seems that option is removed from OS X Lion. I always had my column view setting like that in Snow Leopard , but it seems in Lion you don't have just a choice of showing metadata.

I'll be interested to know if someone knows how to get back Snow Leopard functionality.