Can I turn off "use cellular data for >phone in settings?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mimsie, Aug 21, 2015.

1. mimsie macrumors newbie

I want to minimize data usage while traveling overseas, and so I want to turn off as many background apps as possible. On my iPhone 5 there is a background app at: Settings>Cellular>Use Cellular Data For>Phone. What happens if I turn this app off? I just tested and found I can still make and receive phone calls, with this app as well as my WIFI turned off. So what is this app for?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's not an app, it's a setting and it does exactly what it says. Turning it off prohibits use of data over a cellular connection.

It does not turn off phone calls and it does not turn off your ability to use WiFi. If you really want to see how it works, turn this off, disconnect from WiFi, and make sure you have a cellular connection. Open Safari and try to load a web page. Safari will tell you there is no network connection.

So…that's all this does. Is prohibit data use over cellular. Which is exactly what you want to limit. You found the correct setting.