Can i turn the sound off on my Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oxband, Jun 16, 2013.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I am using a mighty Mouse that is now very noisy. Sometime when I rest my hand on it and am barely moving/touching it, it's just clicks nonstop (although at a fast speed so it almost sounds like one continuous noise.)

I'd like to get rid of the sound or maybe just disable sound all together. Any idea how to do that?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's really no way to turn it off without removing the speaker/clicker in it. You could try cleaning the little ball to try to reduce the clicking.

3. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesnt seem to be happening when I'm touching the little ball. But you think the problem is gunk around it? could the problem be something underneath it?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Maybe, the clicker is to only go off when scrolling to simulate the scroll wheel noise.

5. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that must be it. So, how do I clean the underside without affecting how it works?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You really can't open those mice without breaking them.

7. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there some cleansing agent I can use with a soft cloth perhaps? i have no idea what that cleansing stuff might be...

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

To clean the scroll wheel, turn the mouse upside down - press the scroll wheel onto your desk or mouse pad - and roll the mouse back & forth several times. You want to press down pretty hard - press as much as you think you should, then 50% harder :)

If that doesn't improve scroll wheel function, do the same thing only on a VERY lightly damp cloth.