Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
You probably won't have any problems, but running 'repair permissions' from disk utility should rectify any errors.

Ocean Sea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks for the reply tersono.

According to the MacRoumours Guide Repairing Permissions it says the same thing.

I did that but when I was mistakenly Repairing Permissions from the install disc it listed of 50 or more items to be repaired. Most if, not all were Air Port Utility related. But when I re-ran Repair Permissions from within OS X it didn't list any of them as being undone.

From my limited understanding of Repair Permissions your solution should work: Repair Permissions checks an "index of permissions" against the actual permissions and changes the permissions accordingly.

If that "index" was sourced from the Install Disc then it would be out of date in relation to Software Updates. But I am guessing it shouldn't alter the up-to-date "index" file on the system hard drive in any way?

So when I did your solution it should have read the correct up-to-date "index" and rectified any mistakes made the first time.

I read in a MacWorld article (from 2006 I think, under the 3rd heading) that in all recent versions of OS X, Disk Utility uses the up-to-date index on the volume actually being repaired, whether using the Install Disc or not !

If that's correct then that would explain why I got a list of Air Port fixes the first time I Repaired Permissions (using the Install Disc) but didn't get any undo confirmation when I ran Repair Permissions for the second time (from OS X): They were valid fixes.

If that's true then why does Apple say its best to do it from within OS X rather than the Install Disc if both methods use the same up-to-date "index" from the same source?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.